Travel Rod

Rutland Emigree

Hi Folks

Can anyone recommend a good travel fly rod, or a good travel fly rod review site?

I'm hoping to get something sub £100, but could stretch a little further (say up to £150) if the difference is really worth it. Most of my normal gear is around the 7/8 weight, so I was hoping to get something to match this so I didn't have to buy a new reel, line, etc. The thing is, I'm not sure if this tackle will be too heavy for what I want. It's a long story, but I'm going to be going out to Poland a fair bit (am getting hitched there this summer), and I've heard that they have some great fishing in some of the rivers and lakes. So was hoping to have a rod that I could fit in my suitcase, in case I get a day or two free to fish!

Have had a look around, and this is the best selection I've found so far:

http://www.fly-fishing-tackle.co.uk/acatal...l_Fly_Rods.html

But no idea which one to choose.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

At the top end of your price range look at the Orvis Frequent Flyer, I had a go with my mates 8 weight in Cuba and its a lovely rod; a search on the net should bring up a reasonable supplier

At the bottom end of the market look at the Shakespeare Expedition a cheap, but underated rod I use the old 9' five weight and its a cracking little rod.

Or get in touch with Sportsman on this forum and se if he has time to make you one up.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

This may help.

Just make sure that if you can help AN use the links available.

http://eis.bris.ac.uk/~cckhrb/travel.htm

e

Edited by medwaygreen

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Thanks to all for that.

Would the Fulling Mill Gold fit in a suitcase?

I also like the look of the March Brown Hidden Water series, anyone used one of these?

So far the contenders are the Orvis Frequent Flier, the Fulling Mill Gold or Travel, or the March Brown Hidden Water.

As a separate issue: could I get away with fishing larger rivers (have only fished still water thus far) with a 7 weight, or would I need to step down?

Thank again.

Thanks to all for that.

Would the Fulling Mill Gold fit in a suitcase?

As a separate issue: could I get away with fishing larger rivers (have only fished still water thus far) with a 7 weight, or would I need to step down?

Thank again.

The FM Gold series is four-piece and mine fits nicely in my ( Carlton) suitcase (diagonally) a treat.

They come with a cordura covered travel tube for extra protection, or where allowed, as carry-on luggage and have a shoulder strap too.

You could certainly fish a larger river with 7 wt and in some cases, depending on the nature of the river, width, current, species expected etc. you could even step up a size or two, especially if larger pike or carp are anticipated.

Cheers

Steve

I don't know what to recommend but I can say steer away from telescopics. I bought one, which I think has actually not a bad action but the lack of rings kills the "shooting" ability. I have telescopic spinning rods which I love using, so I'm not "anti-telescopic" by nature!