feeding a goldfish

Happy Dude

hi folks,

never been on this forum but need a wee bit help.

we have a goldfish and have always had someone to look after it for us when we go on holiday.

we've had him/her now for 12 years after my nephew won it at the shows.

this year we are stuck as everyone is going away at the same time.

is there a block feeder or something i can buy to do it for a fortnight, is there and down side to this??

thanks in advance

les

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

Hi HD ..

Some pet shops and aquatic centres sell "Holiday Feed Blocks" that are supposed to do this very job.

Not so sure about them myself ... :blink::blink:

The Older I get .. The better I was.

Personally I would not bother. It will be able to last quite easily for two weeks without food.

The trouble with the food blocks is that they release food as they dissolve and with just one fish you are going to end up with problems of overfeeding and pollution.

You could always break off a lump of a feed block and give him that, if you're concerned.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I was told the same as Mr Hammond, don't bother for a fortnight. Fish will be quite ok. We left ours for around 10 dyas and they were no worse for ware after that?

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

ok,

a divided opinion, the problem is the water is badly needing changed and if i change it there will be nothing lying about for it.

hmmmmmm!!!

think i'll get a feeder block and put maybe 1/3 of it in.

i'll speak to the fish shop (tropical not chippy) :rolleyes:

thanks for the replies

les

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

My tropicals get left for up to ten days a couple of times a year without food. I can promise you that it does them no harm and it is far safer than asking somebody else to feed them and ending with massive overfeeding or using the feeder blocks which I do not really trust as to their contents anyway.

The change of water will not have any detrimental effect and can only do the fish good.

Feeder blocks are a waste of time and do more harm than good by polluting the water.

Give your tank a clean and feed it with a normal amount of food just before you leave.

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

looks like the feeder block thing is out anyway, i forgot to go for one....

i'll just have to trust the opinion on the board and hope for the best

thanks , i'll let you know how it goes

regards

les

WalkingPinhead.gif

Les, Dont know if its too late, but did you know you can buy a Holiday feeder from decent petshops, I got mine from Dobbies. I used to keep and breed Goldfish, and had a feeder for our holidays....it hangs over the tank, and drops the food in every day, BTW, Its battery operated......:):)

If not, you wont have any probs at all not feeding them, they will last quite easily for weeks without feeding....:) Mine in the pond didnt get fed all winter :)

Edited by Norrie

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/