River Medway

Leon Roskilly

How did you get on Leon?

Just small stuff; bleak, roach and perch, but loads of them.

I started by fishing the slider at various depths, but once I found the 'better' fish I changed to a spread out shot pattern to take fish on the drop.

It was a just a quick 'on the spur of the moment trip', with the aim of assessing conditions and seeing the float go under a few times :)

(By the way, when visiting the Malta Inn for lunch at the weekend with friends, there was a small mitten crab scuttling around on the footpath)

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Just small stuff; bleak, roach and perch, but loads of them.

I started by fishing the slider at various depths, but once I found the 'better' fish I changed to a spread out shot pattern to take fish on the drop.

It was a just a quick 'on the spur of the moment trip', with the aim of assessing conditions and seeing the float go under a few times :)

(By the way, when visiting the Malta Inn for lunch at the weekend with friends, there was a small mitten crab scuttling around on the footpath)

And how did it taste. :yucky::thumbs:

Edited by medwaygreen

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Leon, you're committing mental torture on me!! I'm still immobile you know! Were you below the lock, in the tidal bit?

I've had signs that Mitten crabs have been nibbling my hookbait boiles, for a couple of years now. I'm nbot sure how bad it really is though, as the water level hasn't dropped down low enough to see the little buggers' burrows so far.

I reckon the Carp fishing could get a bit more tricky, if they really take hold. There will still be plenty of Carp (bigger ones too), but getting a bait in front of them, could be harder.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

Were you below the lock, in the tidal bit?

No, just upriver past the boats.

The tidal bit was at fairly low water, and there was considerable water pushing through the sluice, making for very turbulent water.

(I did try a few trots through with a stick float though!)

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Leon, you're committing mental torture on me!! I'm still immobile you know! Were you below the lock, in the tidal bit?

I've had signs that Mitten crabs have been nibbling my hookbait boiles, for a couple of years now. I'm nbot sure how bad it really is though, as the water level hasn't dropped down low enough to see the little buggers' burrows so far.

I reckon the Carp fishing could get a bit more tricky, if they really take hold. There will still be plenty of Carp (bigger ones too), but getting a bait in front of them, could be harder.

Sorry Dunk'I'll give you some more mental torture. I had two day sessions last week on the KAPS stretch of the Beult at Yalding and ended up with a dozen tench between 4-6 lb along with the customary large roach etc. The haul would have been double had I not lost a load.

Well done, but how did you manage to "lose a load"?

As far as the mental torture goes, just wait and see.

Mixture of hook pulls and the pesky lilies. Those tench there really fight well. Only could get the bites close to the lilies or reeds. didn't want to know in open water.