Gill nets

maidstonemike

When does recreational angling cross to commercial fishing? How many hooks can a person have on a line before they are considered a commercial fisherman? Is it a 'grey' area. I assumed ALL longline, net, pot and trap fisherman had to be fully licensed?

When does recreational angling cross to commercial fishing? How many hooks can a person have on a line before they are considered a commercial fisherman? Is it a 'grey' area. I assumed ALL longline, net, pot and trap fisherman had to be fully licensed?

You don't have to have a license to use nets or longlines from a boat - you only need a license if you intend to sell your catch. There may be other bylaw licenses needed to set them from the shore too. Certainly here in Guernsey you can set nets & trots on the shore and sell your catch without licensing restrictions other than the usual MLS which applies to everybody. In summer some areas are closed to nets & trots, but that's only to protect swimmers & other beach users.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

You don't have to have a license to use nets or longlines from a boat - you only need a license if you intend to sell your catch. There may be other bylaw licenses needed to set them from the shore too. Certainly here in Guernsey you can set nets & trots on the shore and sell your catch without licensing restrictions other than the usual MLS which applies to everybody. In summer some areas are closed to nets & trots, but that's only to protect swimmers & other beach users.

here on the mainland there are plenty of restrictions max of 100m,for none licenced minimum of 5 mtrs above head/float line at all states of tide its a bit of a mine field for licenced or none licenced to stay within the law and these conditions vary througout the year :rtfm:

I think there is no law to a longline or deadline..as for saying it for Bass it will catch anything..re hook sizes..nothing wrong with longlines as they catch what you are targeting..theres more bare hooks than fish..as to gill nets yes they have....years ago we put down 16" mesh nets with a long belly,perhaps 16ft on the sea bed and 4ft high.that was for thornbacks and lobsters and we caught and I think they are still within the law..we had a 10ft trawl for Brown shrimps..bucket fulls of them,but nobody goes now for them..so I think at low water it will be full.

Are gill nets illegal? A guy on e-bay is selling 100mtr Bass gill nets. I know they are illegal in Scotland. I mailed him and asked if they were illegal, and got a snotty reply.

I sent him one back.

gill nets of mono fillament single strand are illegal in Scotland and no nets can be fished on the surface of the water.Multi mono is allowed with mesh sizes of 4 inch or 4.25 inch and cannot be fished on the surface.Without a licence it would not be long before you land in trouble working any kind of gill net in Scotland.regards

Are gill nets illegal? A guy on e-bay is selling 100mtr Bass gill nets. I know they are illegal in Scotland. I mailed him and asked if they were illegal, and got a snotty reply.

I sent him one back.

gill nets of mono fillament single strand are illegal in Scotland and no nets can be fished on the surface of the water.Multi mono is allowed with mesh sizes of 4 inch or 4.25 inch and cannot be fished on the surface.Without a licence it would not be long before you land in trouble working any kind of gill net in Scotland.regards

We had a gill netter down here a while back ..80 yds out every 2 days for about 2/3 weeks , i phoned all the relevant people ,,no joy ,,,even used the health & safety angle for swimmers ect,,, i watched 1 morn & they had all the 3lb bass that seem to be missing now arround here ,,,,,, still every cloud has a silver lining ,,,,the storms ripped the whole lot up one day & destroyed them on the local groynes ,,,, haa haa.... see there is a god ,,,,,,

Ime off to yak skoool,,,,,,no more overruns to get out there,,,,

We had a gill netter down here a while back ..80 yds out every 2 days for about 2/3 weeks , i phoned all the relevant people ,,no joy ,,,even used the health & safety angle for swimmers ect,,, i watched 1 morn & they had all the 3lb bass that seem to be missing now arround here ,,,,,, still every cloud has a silver lining ,,,,the storms ripped the whole lot up one day & destroyed them on the local groynes ,,,, haa haa.... see there is a god ,,,,,,

Dont laugh to soon groyn bandit there maybe an insurance god.and the fisherman may return with longer deeper gill nets.

Maybe is old ones were were a bit tatty full of seal holes past the sell by date. he would have known the weather was turning if it was good gear he would not leave it.

There is a lot of missconceptions regarding the legal use of gill nets, it fact most are used well within the bounderies of the law.

Its these laws that should be looked at by DEFRA. To my mind its not the hobby netter that sets the odd 100 yards of net to get a feed of fish once in a while thats doing the damage. No its the inshore commercial fishermen that work in our inner estuaries with 1500 yards of netts most days.

Please Please check this out!

http://www.justgiving.com/tacyedewick?ref=