Planting Herbs

Elton

I've decided that I want to have fresh herbs here. We hardly ever cook from raw ingredients and I want that to change.

Anyway, I've just been to the garden centre and bought about 8 different something-or-others that I want to plant in a big tub that I have in the garden.

I thought I'd dig a decent hole for each and bung in some compost and plant them on. However, a quick look in the garage reveals that the only compost there is aquatic compost.

Is it safe to use this?

I'll post exactly what herbs I bought later, as I'd like to know what I can do with them :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

My experience with herbs is that unless they have good drainage, they tend to rot at the roots and snuff it. They'll usually do OK for the first Summer but fail to get through the Winter. Thyme is particularly bad. Oregano/marjoram less so. Rosemary likes drainage and sun and will fail to thrive without. Sage doesn't seem too fussy, bay seems to grow anywhere. Parsley isn't fussy at all.

Aquatic compost might be too heavy. If you've got some, I'd add some grit or sand to it.

What have you bought?

Edited by Steve Walker

Yes forget the aquatic compost, will contain clay and and no nutrients.

Buy a bag of John Innes No 3 its what we use to grow on herbs when we split them mint etc.

They certainly do not like heavy soil.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Cheers, guys. Looks like I need to make a trip back to the garden centre :)

The herbs I have so far are:

Basil, Oregano, Sage, Common Thyme, Mint, Lemon Thyme, Barbecue Rosemary and Italian Parsley.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Hmmm Barbecue Rosemary I just have to check that one out with Debs. :D

Mint can be invasive but a small half barrel just outside the back door has two bonuses, fresh mint and it keeps the flies out. :)

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/todo_now/a...rb_gard_now.php

(Right Click and 'copy shortcut' from the above link, paste into your browser bar and change the 'jul' in the link to browse through the calendar)

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Cheers, guys. Looks like I need to make a trip back to the garden centre :)

The herbs I have so far are:

Basil, Oregano, Sage, Common Thyme, Mint, Lemon Thyme, Barbecue Rosemary and Italian Parsley.

Hi

Brilliant Elton, herbs are a great way to add interest and variety to quite simple cooking. You want to aim to have a healthy supply at most times of the year but its not easy to keep them all going all year.

Oegano, Sage, Mint and Rosemary can be established outdoors in a border or in pots of John Innes no. 3 or any good compost sold for patio pots.

Thyme needs a more limey soil so add some garden lime or crushed chalk or crushed shells to the soil or compost.

Parsley goes to seed in its second summer, so you need to resow or buy new plants each year. If you give the soil a good handful of something rich like blood, fish and bone or just a spadeful of good manure you can get a really vigorous clump of parsley by late summer which will last right through to next spring (unless you eat it all!)

I think basil does best on the kitchen window sill. British summers (like this one!) are just not good enough for this Mediterranean plant. It grows quickly and only lasts about three months so use it and get another pot for later in the year or sow new seeds about now to ensure a good supply into late summer.

After the first few months all herbs will benefit from some liquid feed every fortnight or so.

I would like to hear of anyone's recommendations for combinations of herbs with fish . We like a tomato and onion sauce with lots of basil over cod or haddock. Thornback wings fried in butter with lots of chopped parsley added to the pan just before serving.

i had a plant given to me by a girl who worked in a herb nursery. I was told it was Winter tarragon which i had never heard of then or since.

A few leaves were added to the oil in the pan while the oil was heating then in went the fish, very nice it was too.

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

I would like to hear of anyone's recommendations for combinations of herbs with fish . We like a tomato and onion sauce with lots of basil over cod or haddock. Thornback wings fried in butter with lots of chopped parsley added to the pan just before serving.

A few ideas: puncture hot 1 chilli and put it in hot oil for 30 seconds, remove and add fish to cook.

On a low heat, 1 good dessert spoon of butter, not margerine, crush 3 cloves garlic and chopped chives, add filleted fish. Cook slowly, not burning the butter.

If you can obtain a pawpaw........Papaya, to you, Newt, slice the fruit into rings and barbeque with steak, only putting them on as the steak is being finished, similar to pineapple rings,. Pawpaw is an excellent meat tenderiser.

Edited by Bobj

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.