My Alaskan kayak fishing trip

hpint

I've just been to Alaska on a 2 week holiday and had a great time! Got dropped off at a log cabin on a fjord in the woods via a floater plane and had a boat come around to drop off all my groceries and kayak with crab/prawn pots. Had a little sonar on the kayak and the prawn pots were set at 320ft of water and the crab pots at about 80ft. The prawn pots I had to reel up with a Shimano 20 2-speed reel with thick braid. Felt like forever to get it to the top but the rewards was well worth it! Too much prawns for 1 man to eat...Had to use some for crab bait. Also did loads of kayak fishing. No halibut but plenty of yellow eye (or red snapper as the locals call them), rock fish and small sharks. Was also very fortunate to be able to paddle to within 15m away from some wild grey wolves. They were right on the shoreline and prob didn't recognise me a a human because I was sitting low in the kayak. I also fed eagles from the kayak who came crashing down right next to you with their wings spread and talons out. Awesome experience! When the wind was too strong for kayaking I went upstream (there was a creek right next to the hut that opened up into a lake futher upstream) and went fly fishing for trout, dolly varden and steelhead. Only got rainbows though.. One day I walked a long way up to go to a waterfall but did a HUGE U-turn when I almost bumped into a bear as I came round the corner

The 2nd week I stayed in town in Ketchikan at a B&B and went sea kayak fishing for halibut, ling cod and salmon. I got a big ling cod on day 1, missed 1 and landed a 18lb King Salmon on day 2 and on day 3, I hooked into a really big fish that towed me all around the ocean. I was fishing for halibut and was hoping for a big one but end result was even better. It was a 34lb King salmon! It almost took me off the kayak after I gaffed it and pulled it aboard. It was shaking so much I had to drop it back into the water and off it went still with the gaff in its side. Along with my newly bought expensice ray-ban's. Luckily the gaff could float and popped back up. My guide had to go back and fetch it. I got the King in on the 2nd round. It was an experience I will never forget! Then, after a long day it was nice just sipping a beer while lying in the Jaccuzi and watching the sunset over the ocean. I will definately go back one day! I've got a couple of photo's just hope that the link works. Here it is:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=4899&id=665344601

What a fabulous trip - the eagles must be amazing.

Wher were you?

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

What a fabulous trip - the eagles must be amazing.

Wher were you?

Hey Simon

I went to Ketchikan. Also known as the salmon capital of the world! Was hoping to catch some on the fly while they were coming up the rivers to come and spawn but I went a little bit early. Most of the salmon (chum, cohos, reds, silver) come during July and August. The good thing was that the Kings come earlier (June) and they are the biggest of the lot. I've tried to put my photos on another site. Hopefully this time the link will work. Here it is

http://www.bugbitten.com/blogs/North_Ameri...shing_trip.html

Just seen the title of your photo album......BUG BITTEN :clap2: Brilliant - very apt for Alaska.

How much Deet did you take with you.....I hate mosquitoes.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Hey Simon

I went to Ketchikan. Also known as the salmon capital of the world! Was hoping to catch some on the fly while they were coming up the rivers to come and spawn but I went a little bit early. Most of the salmon (chum, cohos, reds, silver) come during July and August. The good thing was that the Kings come earlier (June) and they are the biggest of the lot. I've tried to put my photos on another site. Hopefully this time the link will work. Here it is

http://www.bugbitten.com/blogs/North_Ameri...shing_trip.html

Superb!!! Did you take your own travel rods? I am just looking for travel gear myself and wondered what yo used if you took your own?

Cheers

SDD~~~~ :sun:

David - I have just got a Shakespeare SALT travl boat rod (20-30lb class). I needed a stronger outfit than my 15-20, they are well priced and superb. I was looking at the Penn, but the Shakespeare is a better rod - I got it for conger, skate, shark - and the yellowfin tuna when we go to Cape Town later this year. Worth a look.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo