My Alaskan kayak fishing trip

hpint

David - I have just got a Shakespeare SALT travl boat rod (20-30lb class). I needed a stronger outfit than my 15-20, they are well priced and superb. I was looking at the Penn, but the Shakespeare is a better rod - I got it for conger, skate, shark - and the yellowfin tuna when we go to Cape Town later this year. Worth a look.

Cheers Simon, worth a look ta!! :thumbs:

SDD~~~~~ :sun:

David - I have just got a Shakespeare SALT travl boat rod (20-30lb class). I needed a stronger outfit than my 15-20, they are well priced and superb. I was looking at the Penn, but the Shakespeare is a better rod - I got it for conger, skate, shark - and the yellowfin tuna when we go to Cape Town later this year. Worth a look.

Hey Simon :thumbs:

After MANY hours looking, deciding, and looking again, I noticed a class looking rod on good old ebay. It is made by a new company called firefly and at the price thay were selling them for seemed a bargain so ordered one! (two rods kit 10-20 and 20-30lb for £58 squids) and a decent looking quiver / holder which I reckon will fit nicely attached to seat buckles behind my seat on the scupper!)

Item number: 180130346924

I looked on their website http://www.fireflyangling.com/ and they sell all sorts of rods and they look very good quality for the price! I can see the price going up if these become a big name so thought I would get in quick ha ha!. Will do a bit of a revue after I have tried it out at the weekend (cmon oh god of weather let us have some sun :sun::sun::sun: )

Hopefully wont drop this one in the sea like my firetips (oops :2: ) thats another story eek!

SDD~~~~~ :sun:

Edited by SeaDooDavid

Superb!!! Did you take your own travel rods? I am just looking for travel gear myself and wondered what yo used if you took your own?

Cheers

SDD~~~~ :sun:

Hey SeaDooDavid

Sorry for the late reply. Internet was down after the bad weather...Yeah, I did take my rods with me but it was a major pain in the as*. I've got an adapter on my camera that fits on a bankstick to take photo's. I had all my rods along with the bankstick in a long plastic tube with endcaps on. Got stopped and inspected 3 times because the scanners pick up my dangerous "weapon" in the tube. Only used my fly rod for the trout which is a 3 piece 7weight 9ft6 rod. It fits nicely in the tube and is protected by a rod bag that came with it. For the kayak fishing you will def need shorter and stronger rods. You can get some of them in 6ft lenths (the tube I had was slighty longer that 6ft) or even 2 piece rods. We fished with Seeker rods (American make)but he also had some Shakespear Uglystick rods (20-30lb weight) for the bigger fish. The guide gave me all the takle that I needed for the kayak fishing so didn't even use mine in the end. He was a really nice guy. Check out he's website: http://www.yakfishalaska.com/photos.htm. He's biggest fish is a 183lb halibut from the kayak!!!!! Check out the photo's. Good luck with finding your fishing gear!

Superb :thumbs: need a women in that Jacuzzi though :blink:

Ha ha you just don't know what went on underneath the water :lol:

What a great trip and fabulous country! Commuting into London each day I can totally understand people who are content living miles from anywhere with just nature for company.

Those eagle shots are outstanding.

JRT

Hey SeaDooDavid

Sorry for the late reply. Internet was down after the bad weather...Yeah, I did take my rods with me but it was a major pain in the as*. I've got an adapter on my camera that fits on a bankstick to take photo's. I had all my rods along with the bankstick in a long plastic tube with endcaps on. Got stopped and inspected 3 times because the scanners pick up my dangerous "weapon" in the tube. Only used my fly rod for the trout which is a 3 piece 7weight 9ft6 rod. It fits nicely in the tube and is protected by a rod bag that came with it. For the kayak fishing you will def need shorter and stronger rods. You can get some of them in 6ft lenths (the tube I had was slighty longer that 6ft) or even 2 piece rods. We fished with Seeker rods (American make)but he also had some Shakespear Uglystick rods (20-30lb weight) for the bigger fish. The guide gave me all the takle that I needed for the kayak fishing so didn't even use mine in the end. He was a really nice guy. Check out he's website: http://www.yakfishalaska.com/photos.htm. He's biggest fish is a 183lb halibut from the kayak!!!!! Check out the photo's. Good luck with finding your fishing gear!

Ha ha you just don't know what went on underneath the water :lol:

Superb!! That link has tempted me now (where's the cheque book! :thumbs: ) I have bought a travel rod that I think will be ideal for kayak fishing! It is made by a new company called fireflyangling. They are a new, relatively unknown company, but I have checked out their website http://www.fireflyangling.com/ and the specs on the rod I have purchased.

The quality s/steel fittings and top notch carbon blank look SUPERB! Can't wait for it to arrive! Will give a write up about it when I have tested it as I believe it could be a handy rod to have for the kayak (has a quiver holder that looks PERFECT for attaching behind a kayak seat for storage / carriage) I bought one quick as I expect these will go up for this spec as they get established!. Two speck rods in one!

The photo's you posted are STUNNING to say the least mate :thumbs: That really did look the ideal kayaking break :thumbs:

Keep em coming!

SDD~~~~~~ :sun: