Buying fly lines as a b'day present

rich

My only experience of flyfishing was a brief spell some 15 years ago, my mate however is an avid fluff chucker and I'm buying him a couple of lines for his birthday.

Problem is he lives in Ireland, and fishes medium and small sized rivers. I sent his mrs a message asking for the weight of his rods (as thats about all I know I need).

Response was on one rod, 10ft 4-5

second rod (kept in the car) 6 - 1 but some of the markings were worn out.

I'm thinking of a floating and sinking line, probably to suit the 10' rod and I'm guessing the 4-5 is the line weight.

Am I on the right lines (no pun intended)?

Secondly, is there a nice online dealer who offer decent prices?

Thanks, Rich.

Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail

My only experience of flyfishing was a brief spell some 15 years ago, my mate however is an avid fluff chucker and I'm buying him a couple of lines for his birthday.

Problem is he lives in Ireland, and fishes medium and small sized rivers. I sent his mrs a message asking for the weight of his rods (as thats about all I know I need).

Response was on one rod, 10ft 4-5

second rod (kept in the car) 6 - 1 but some of the markings were worn out.

I'm thinking of a floating and sinking line, probably to suit the 10' rod and I'm guessing the 4-5 is the line weight.

Am I on the right lines (no pun intended)?

Secondly, is there a nice online dealer who offer decent prices?

Thanks, Rich.

Sounds about right, odd to find a 10ft 4-5wt rod though. how about you get him something like a sportfish.co.uk voucher? Lines can be a very personal thing, and with a voucher he can chose exactly what he wants.

Paul Singleton

Cheers mate, I had a browse through some sites and came to the conclusion that yes, you are right.

Sportfish voucher will be airborne in 1-2 days.

Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail