Home Internations Shore 2007

Norm B

:clap2: For those that haven't heard, the Seniors and Youths won gold in Youghal, Ireland, while the Juniors won silver after a count back. The fishing was hard and the weather extremely windy and all teams fought hard and stuck with it to beat the conditions. Some venues and zones had more blanks than weighers. In the Seniors, only Ireland and England had 5 weighers on both days, if that's how hard it was for them, think how hard it was for the juniors. They did well away from home and were a credit to their country and managers. :clap2:

B)-->

QUOTE(Norm B @ Jul 2 2007, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:clap2: For those that haven't heard, the Seniors and Youths won gold in Youghal, Ireland, while the Juniors won silver after a count back. The fishing was hard and the weather extremely windy and all teams fought hard and stuck with it to beat the conditions. Some venues and zones had more blanks than weighers. In the Seniors, only Ireland and England had 5 weighers on both days, if that's how hard it was for them, think how hard it was for the juniors. They did well away from home and were a credit to their country and managers. :clap2:

I presume it was Scotland that won then Norm :-)

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norm B @ Jul 2 2007, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->:clap2: For those that haven't heard, the Seniors and Youths won gold in Youghal, Ireland, while the Juniors won silver after a count back. The fishing was hard and the weather extremely windy and all teams fought hard and stuck with it to beat the conditions. Some venues and zones had more blanks than weighers. In the Seniors, only Ireland and England had 5 weighers on both days, if that's how hard it was for them, think how hard it was for the juniors. They did well away from home and were a credit to their country and managers. :clap2:

I presume it was Scotland that won then Norm :-)

:clap2: Close, England, Ireland second, not sure about the rest. :clap2:

The seniors had an easy time of it compared to us...

There was 1 fish on my zone on the second day, just one. Ive never blanked two days in a row in matches, and i can tell you it wasn't for the lack of trying. Poorly thought out venues that turned the championships, certainly for juniors and youths, into a lottery. In 2 days there was a dozen fish caught between 20 anglers...

Juniors had it even worse; on the second day there was one fish caught between all the teams close to the end :yucky: For under 16's, most of whom have probably never experienced Ireland before, and also probably had to pay a fair amount towards costs, this is a disgrace! Irish guys themselves couldn't understand it as other venues are crawling with fish at the moment, and yet we were stuck up desolate river venues - with no crab for bait! No prizes for guessing what creatures live there in thier millions...

Tight Lines

Shaun

The seniors had an easy time of it compared to us...

There was 1 fish on my zone on the second day, just one. Ive never blanked two days in a row in matches, and i can tell you it wasn't for the lack of trying. Poorly thought out venues that turned the championships, certainly for juniors and youths, into a lottery. In 2 days there was a dozen fish caught between 20 anglers...

Juniors had it even worse; on the second day there was one fish caught between all the teams close to the end :yucky: For under 16's, most of whom have probably never experienced Ireland before, and also probably had to pay a fair amount towards costs, this is a disgrace! Irish guys themselves couldn't understand it as other venues are crawling with fish at the moment, and yet we were stuck up desolate river venues - with no crab for bait! No prizes for guessing what creatures live there in thier millions...

:clap2: Absolutely correct Shaun, nobody could understand it but you have to think like a manager. If you put English anglers on a beach with a lot of fish they will catch lots of fish and win, so you pick a venue with a few fish and you hope your team will catch them and win. I told my team that we would fish a fair venue the first day and if we beat the home team the next day would be a peggy venue to give them a chance of being lucky, that's exactly what happened but we were good enough to win both days, three if you include the practice match. I felt for all the anglers as there was superb fishing but you needed crabs but we had some good fishing on other beaches when we were practicing with the allowed bait. Unfortunately it was a competition and the home team will use home advantage to their benefit, that's life. Dover next year, that will be fair with lots of fish for everyone, I hope. :clap2:

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norm B @ Jul 3 2007, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you put English anglers on a beach with a lot of fish they will catch lots of fish and win:clap2:

Saying that the venue was chosen because English anglers are feared for catching fish is slightly arrogant is it not? Actually, more home nations medals have went north over the years :bye1:

Dover should be great, Samphire hoe round 2... I have a score to settle with a few biting tompot blennies.

Edited by Spur-Hound

Tight Lines

Shaun

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norm B @ Jul 3 2007, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you put English anglers on a beach with a lot of fish they will catch lots of fish and win:clap2:

Saying that the venue was chosen because English anglers are feared for catching fish is slightly arrogant is it not? Actually, more home nations medals have went north over the years :bye1:

Dover should be great, Samphire hoe round 2... I have a score to settle with a few biting tompot blennies.

:clap2: Not arrogant at all. Where there are a lot of fish the English anglers do well, they are very good at catching lots of fish quickly, World Championships Weymouth springs to mind. In Ireland they were very good at catching enough fish quickly enough to beat everybody else, or did they get lucky pegs 3 days running? :rolleyes:

B)-->

QUOTE(Norm B @ Jul 9 2007, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:clap2: Not arrogant at all. Where there are a lot of fish the English anglers do well, they are very good at catching lots of fish quickly, World Championships Weymouth springs to mind. In Ireland they were very good at catching enough fish quickly enough to beat everybody else, or did they get lucky pegs 3 days running? :rolleyes:

Ahem, for the youths, Scotland won 2 days outa 3 (which included a practice) :wacko: So don't say luck didn't come into it somewhere, at least for our desolate sections.

Tight Lines

Shaun