Do i or dont i?

buc69

Hi all

Have just won this rod on E bay and was wondering if it is to good to give to my son as a starter rod or do i keep it for myself as i'm in need of a new rod?Thanks <_<

Description.doc

Edited by buc69

Depends on the size and age of your son and the size/species of fish you will be targeting.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Neither!! Use it a prop for the wifes washing line!! Wait till you get it and you will see why!! BUT it is FAR to heavy/floppy a rod fro any 9 yearold!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Neither!! Use it a prop for the wifes washing line!! Wait till you get it and you will see why!! BUT it is FAR to heavy/floppy a rod fro any 9 yearold!

Any1 else think it should be used as a washing line prop?

If he is a normal size 9 y/o, a light weight rod would be good but also one that will take a little abuse so you can let him fish without too much worry about damaging the rod.

Not sure about UK availability but the Shakespeare Ugly Stik rods are fairly inexpensive and with the carbon center protected by a glass fibre outer layer, are rugged. I have never broken one in use either, even using lines /w B/S way above the rated maximum for the rod and hooking some largish fish.

His hands are probably not large so a fixed spool reel, while possible, may not be too comfortable so you might consider a US style spin-cast reel. May need mail order but the Zebco Rhino RSC2 or RSC3 reels are not expensive and are excellent. My wife uses nothing else and I have a pair myself for when I don't want to mess with fixed spool or multiplier rigs. The reel mounts like a multiplier so needs a rod set up that way but is thumb-trigger operated, completely closed face, and will not birdsnest.

Not a recommendation for this site but for a good display of the reels with their specs Click Here. This style is almost unknown in the UK and I have never understood why since it is a great starter reel for youngsters. Forgiving and with the Rhino ones, plenty good to deal with almost any fish you are likely to encounter up to 15-20 lbs.

I have sent smaller rods/reels of this basic design to several forum members for their children and they seem to have been well received.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi all

Have just won this rod on E bay and was wondering if it is to good to give to my son as a starter rod or do i keep it for myself as i'm in need of a new rod?Thanks <_<

yes i would definately use it as a line prop. if you are fishing commercials try getting your lad to use a power waggler rod about 10 feet long, these are more than capable of handlig carp up to 15lbs, as for a reel couple the rod with a fixed spool 3000 type reel. load it with 8lbs b/s line and off you go..

So would it be ok for me to use when fishing with my son where the carp are from2-10lb?I guess this is a lesson learnt not to buy off e bay unless you know what your looking for. :(

It might be OK but it surely would be boring to get a 5lb fish on a 2.5lb T/C rod.