Barbel or mullet

Jim Murray

OK - so Jim has a hypothesis.

You have a WAG (and no, not the Wives And Girlfriends thing but the well known {in the colonies anyway} Wild Arse Guess).

Newt,

That was very, very, very Funny.

:bigemo_harabe_net-163::bigemo_harabe_net-163::bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI Vagabond,

Its interesting that your selections are dominated by salt water species or species that mature in salt water if that makes sense, perhaps it is that, that makes them the harder, fitter fighting fish.

I cannot comment myself as i have never caught a Mullet, but maybe Leon will help me on Sun pier one day. :thumbs:

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

I cannot comment myself as i have never caught a Mullet, but maybe Leon will help me on Sun pier one day. :thumbs:

Anytime, give me a call when you can make it.

A low tide about 5-6am at Chatham is good, start fishing around 8am (the scrotes don't get out of bed until midday!)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Well Ive caught many hundreds of both Barbel and Mullet (both thick and thin lips) Mullet are undoubtedly harder to catch consistantly but even though in general they fight very hard I must admit to having had some (only a handfull out of hundreds mind) dissapointing fights from a few (a couple of thin lips) where Ive never had the same from a barbel.Im also talking from the experience of catching them on similar tackle.Ive never caught a mullet in fast flowing water though!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Mullet are undoubtedly harder to catch consistantly

Definitely!

but even though in general they fight very hard I must admit to having had some (only a handfull out of hundreds mind) dissapointing fights from a few (a couple of thin lips) where Ive never had the same from a barbel.

Same again. A lot of the time I don't think they know they're hooked. An issue you don't get with barbus :clap2:

Ive never caught a mullet in fast flowing water though!

I have and they can fight well in it. OTOH have had barbel in zero-flow summer conditions and they still go berzerk.

Reason I'm asking is there is a chapter in Andy Orme's book stating "mullet fight harder than barbel" so I'm curious to know what others think,

Jim.

dissapointing fights from a few (a couple of thin lips)

Interesting - most of my thin-lips were herring-size on fly gear, and no complaints about them, but with any fish, sooner or later you will encounter one that fights poorly - perhaps due to the fishy equivalent of a hangover <_< .

Have caught several species of mullet around the world, all put up a good scrap.

Medway G - it is no coincidence that the three fish I rate most highly all come from shallowish tropical water. There are a lot of other species in the tropics that fight very hard indeed - too many to list here.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...