Costco Kayak

DrDoug

Hi All,

was in costco yesterday and they are selling a pelican apex fishing kayak. I was wondering if anyone has heard of this kayak before and if so is it ok as a starter kayak ?

Cheers

Drdoug

Hi All,

was in costco yesterday and they are selling a pelican apex fishing kayak. I was wondering if anyone has heard of this kayak before and if so is it ok as a starter kayak ?

Cheers

Drdoug

worth a Google:

Pelican

This Pelican Kayak review is by Jerbro, who reviewed the Apex 2 model kayak on 04-10-2005. It was given an overall rating of 8, where 1 is low...10 is high.

Comments: I shopped for about a week and looked @ alot of different Tandem Kayaks, Price was my deciding factor. as far as the money, I couldn't pass up the Pelican apex II tandem. $325.00 @ sports authority. 300 less than its next competitor, Paddled well from from rear, and center, very stable, I was able to stand and cast, Paddle from knees, move about the boat. Speed was o.k., kept up with Malibu xl just fine. Tested on lake, will post ocean findings this week.

Suggested Changes: Hatch access

2006 Launches: 8

2006 Species: 5

2007 Species: 19

2007 Launches: 42

2008 Species: 21

2008 Launches: 51

2009 Species: 24

2009 Launches: 47

2010 Launches 35

2010 Species 25

2011 Launches 23

2011 Species 20

Hi DD

Is this the kayak in question?

107309LL_v.jpg

I have not seen or paddled one but going from this pic and specs ,if it is then there are a few things to bear in mind before buying.

Firstly, do you plan to paddle this by yourself or with someone else? Thats quite a lot of yak for one person to deal with - it weighs 70lbs and could be hard to car top on your own.

It has a 36" inch beam. Thats one of the widest sit on tops I have seen. The beam should give excellent primary stability (it won't feel tippy when you get on board) and you'll probably be able to stand up on it in calm water (in practice I question how many do this and how often). However to stop your hand from smacking the gunwhale you'll probably need a longer paddle which in turn may place more stress on your shoulder joints. If you're not planning on going far, fishing calm waters then it may not be much of an issue. But, if you do get into kayak fishing and head out regulary you could soon outgrow this kayak and pine for something more efficient and easier to deal with off the water.

For fishing, the kayak appears to have a very small tankwell of an awkward shape so it may be tricky finding a crate for it.

Theres no internal storage either.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

For £200 looks good. Quite heavy though for its size. Looks quite similar to my Caper I used to have - should be ok for shorter close inshore trips on sheltered waters.

You'll have to check it out in the flesh. Can't make out from the pic areas where you could fit rod holders. If the hull isn't injected with foam you may be able to fit a front hatch.

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

£200! :wallbash: my paddle cost more than that :headhurt: looks a very good price and you get a free paddle albeit plastic :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

£200! :wallbash: my paddle cost more than that :headhurt: looks a very good price and you get a free paddle albeit plastic :thumbs:

My neighbour has just bought two, both yellow for himself and his son! They look ok for messing about on the shore front and on lakes which is why they bought em! They seem happy enough with em. I wouldn't like to do as much in them as I do in mine though, not sure they could handle any roughish water :unsure:

Horses for courses though, like I say they seem delighted with them (they don't fish from them though)

SDD~~~~ :sun: