Charter Boat out of West Bay, Dorset

FearTheHands

Have some friends down in August who want to take their kids out on a charter boat for the day.

I've only been out of West Bay, Dorset once on a charter & had a very bad experience (rude & unhelpful 'skipper' & 'assistant' who loves to throw all of their litter into the sea).

Looking for recommendations for a good day out at a reasonable cost. Doesn't have to be wreck fishing & would be quite happy with inshore fishing but am looking for something a bit more challenging than a mackeral boat ...

There's a few charter skippers operating out of West Bay & Lyme, it all depends what you're looking for. If you ask Les or Martin in West Bay Watersports or the people in Potters Tackle, they'll put you onto a skipper. During the school holidays, most of the skippers are only interested in 3 hour macky trips, the grockles lap it up. Harry May at Lyme (Marie F) is an OK skipper, the problem with most fishing in Lyme Bay is that it tends to become a pout & dogfish fest, unless you can get over the bream beds.

There's a few charter skippers operating out of West Bay & Lyme, it all depends what you're looking for. If you ask Les or Martin in West Bay Watersports or the people in Potters Tackle, they'll put you onto a skipper. During the school holidays, most of the skippers are only interested in 3 hour macky trips, the grockles lap it up. Harry May at Lyme (Marie F) is an OK skipper, the problem with most fishing in Lyme Bay is that it tends to become a pout & dogfish fest, unless you can get over the bream beds.

Again, this is why i have suggested weymouth, not far up the coast and a massive diversity of fishing both inshore and off. You would be hard to find a bad skipper within the deepsea web site. Tight lines.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Again, this is why i have suggested weymouth, not far up the coast and a massive diversity of fishing both inshore and off. You would be hard to find a bad skipper within the deepsea web site. Tight lines.
Thanks, but again, I live a 3 minute walk from West Bay harbour & my guests are staying in a camp site in West Bay less than 1 minute from the harbour - hence why I am looking for personal recommendations for skippers / boats out of West Bay - Weymouth is not an option for us - it's 12 miles away.

The last time I took advice from my local tackle shop, the skipper turned out to be a colossal arse-hole, who unbeknown to me at the time, is a renowned arse-hole amongst locals. This is why I was looking for people who had actually been on a boat out of my harbour & could recommend it - not just secondhand recommendations.

It's all about a dad giving his kid a trip to remember whilst on holiday & not suffering a skipper from hell, with a dog called Nelson - out of West Bay.... not Weymouth, or anywhere else that isn't West Bay ...

FearTheHands.gif

Knowing my luck if I were a buddhist I'd come back as myself ...

Thanks, but again, I live a 3 minute walk from West Bay harbour & my guests are staying in a camp site in West Bay less than 1 minute from the harbour - hence why I am looking for personal recommendations for skippers / boats out of West Bay - Weymouth is not an option for us - it's 12 miles away.

The last time I took advice from my local tackle shop, the skipper turned out to be a colossal arse-hole, who unbeknown to me at the time, is a renowned arse-hole amongst locals. This is why I was looking for people who had actually been on a boat out of my harbour & could recommend it - not just secondhand recommendations.

It's all about a dad giving his kid a trip to remember whilst on holiday & not suffering a skipper from hell, with a dog called Nelson - out of West Bay.... not Weymouth, or anywhere else that isn't West Bay ...

Why not go to west bay when the charter boats come in and ask the punters what they caught and what the skippers was like and would they go on that boat again

just a small point but may help

steve

Why not Kidnap Nelson and tell Numpty the skipper shape up or you will give his smelly dog a bath! if that dont work get a bus to weymouth and have a proper days fishing!with a proper Skipper If your muckers have made it all the way to West bay a 12 mile jaunt down the road ant going to give them a nose bleed! ...................Is it ? :blink:;)

Edited by five bellies

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

I just read his question and responded to the port he was looking for, most of my boat fishing is from Weymouth, usually with Paul Davies (Katie Ann) or Pat Carlin (Meridian Express & Channel Chieftain), both of whom I'd have no hesitation in recommending.

Hehe - that's exactly how we got the skipper from hell last time :headhurt:

Thanks anyway :thumbs:

There's two tackle shops in West Bay, if you go into West Bay Watersports, don't be afraid to tell them of your previous experience, Martin & Les aren't daft, they'll put you right. The more information you can give them, the better chance you'll have of getting a good skipper. Remember though, if you're chartering the full boat, he's there to serve you.

:clap2: Did you catch anything on Friday with your son? I fished down at Beesands last Saturday week, all I caught was the sun... :rolleyes:

:clap2: Did you catch anything on Friday with your son? I fished down at Beesands last Saturday week, all I caught was the sun... :rolleyes:

I didn't go fishing on Friday & I don't have a son, it's my friend who wants to take his son out on a boat from West Bay.

I did however catch a table sized bass on Thursday at Hive on mackeral feathers :thumbs:

FearTheHands.gif

Knowing my luck if I were a buddhist I'd come back as myself ...