Fish ID

Anthony78

Hi chaps, I bought a new fish the weekend and they had it advertised as a 'DENMONI BARB' I'm deffinately not an expert but it doesn't seem to match the body profiles of any barbs that I've seen. I've googled but can't find any pictures to compare. Any body got any ideas?

Sorry about the pic the little blighter wouldn't keep still.

post-4584-1184014605_thumb.jpg

Thanks in advance

Edited by Anthony78

Effort equals reward!!

Thanks for the reply ahammond. I have been asking around and it is a red lined torpedo barb see here

They were quite rare at one point, which is why I havn't been able to find any pics, but have now started to get popular . It hasn't helped that I was given the wrong name by the aquatics shop.

Thank again.

Anthony

Edited by Anthony78

Effort equals reward!!

By coincidence I was in my local fish shop today buying some food and he had some of these barbs in stock. They were labeled as Denisonii but the shop owner referred to them as Scissor Barbs when I asked about them. But from what I can gather from the few references to them in my books the Scissor tail barb is in fact an entirely different fish.

I tend to think that what quite often happens is that if a local shop keeper gets something in that he is not sure of the full identity of he will just give it a name that seems appropriate rather than go to all the trouble of looking it up and that these names often stick. Much to the confusion of people like me who can never remember or pronounce the Latin names.

I have to admit though that the dozen or so he had in his tank looked very impressive in a shoal. But at twenty five pounds apiece I am afraid they were a bit expensive for me.

By coincidence I was in my local fish shop today buying some food and he had some of these barbs in stock. They were labeled as Denisonii but the shop owner referred to them as Scissor Barbs when I asked about them. But from what I can gather from the few references to them in my books the Scissor tail barb is in fact an entirely different fish.

I tend to think that what quite often happens is that if a local shop keeper gets something in that he is not sure of the full identity of he will just give it a name that seems appropriate rather than go to all the trouble of looking it up and that these names often stick. Much to the confusion of people like me who can never remember or pronounce the Latin names.

I have to admit though that the dozen or so he had in his tank looked very impressive in a shoal. But at twenty five pounds apiece I am afraid they were a bit expensive for me.

denisonii is the latin name for them :thumbs: . At least your shop had the name right. The one that I got mine from(not my usual shop, but they are the only one that sell live bloodworm) didn't know the name, or that they are supposed/happier to be in shoals. I think I was lucky in one respect though because he didn't know much about it, I got it for £10. Hopefully he will be ok on his own as I don't have enough room for any more fish :rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

• 3 months later...

Ok,

1. Very nice fish

2. Looks like a bit like a rumny nose tetra

3. Good luck on your serches, and look for some hybrid fish

4. Very nice fish (again)

Wolfie10

!You Were Wild Once Dont Let Them Tame You!

One major problem for shops is the wholesalers. We only get a printed list of fish to order from I used to cross reference the name before purchasing the fish and quite often ended up with something different. Plecs were a nightmare.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist