***Lifeboat Called Out*** / Barton Sole Bashing

SpeciMan

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The coastguard wont have a problem with you ringing them with your intentions. All phone calls are logged. Just make sure you inform them when you are back safe. You may still get a visit though if a member of the public is convinced that you are in trouble. It happened to me a few years ago.

A coastguard rescue team does communicate between themselves and other emergency services on CH 0 but can also speak to you on CH 16, although chances are they wouldnt expect a kayaker to be carrying one, so would be worth mentioning that you have VHF when you ring in.

So those tarts among us now have an excuse to carry two VHF sets then!

Funny thing, I phoned the coastguard a while back and we were talking. As you know I got my incident in the paper to try and drum up some donations etc. Well, he asked me if i was the photographer (yes) and was I 'Paula's ex' - to which I replied that I assumed he also was now. haha. He was too. It's a small world you know.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

Some info on channel 0:

"Maritime Use

2.1 VHF Channel 0 (Zero)

Channel 0 is the Primary Coastguard SAR Channel for use with Declared Facilities 1,

either for routine communications or for communications during SAR Operations

when only Declared Facilities are involved. It is a private channel for licensed users

only and is controlled by HM Coastguard. All applications to fit and use Channel 0

should be sent to HMCG for approval."

taken from a pdf: SAR Implementation & Control

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Some info on channel 0:

"Maritime Use

2.1 VHF Channel 0 (Zero)

Channel 0 is the Primary Coastguard SAR Channel for use with Declared Facilities 1,

either for routine communications or for communications during SAR Operations

when only Declared Facilities are involved. It is a private channel for licensed users

only and is controlled by HM Coastguard. All applications to fit and use Channel 0

should be sent to HMCG for approval."

taken from a pdf: SAR Implementation & Control

So, from a practical perspective and setting 'the niceties' to one side for these purposes, it would seem to make sense to monitor Channel 0 and communicate on Channel 16 in the eventuality that you feel you may be 'the subject' of any conversations on Channel 0?

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)

So its left me thinking should I be calling them everytime I launch no matter how short the trip, the conditions or time of day. How many of us do this?

Being both a lifeboatman and a kayaker and a fisherman perhaps I can throw some light on this!

There is no rule as such. For short bimbles during daylight hours I never call. For point to point trips even during daylight hours I do. Anything at night I do (if only to let them know your mobile or VHF callsign so if a kayaker is reported you can ba contacted). And if I ever intend to pass a Coastwatch hut I also call (they're easily spooked!)

I know from having had many long discussions with Coastguards around the coast that they are always very happy to be contacted and to take a trip plan. Be aware though......if you leave an estimated return time they won't come looking for you if you don't make a call when you come ashore.

Bottom line though, don't feel guilty because some overanxious bystander called the Coasties and RNLI. It happens all the time and sometimes does save a life. We certainly don't mind............

Incidently I was sat in the ALB during Moonyakers rescue and was very impressed with the good humour in which they took their 'rescue'! We just do wat we are told and were very happy that you didn't actually need our assistance!

All the best

John

Have a look at the goings on at Swanage Lifeboat Station here:

http://lifeboatscrapbook.blogspot.com/

So, from a practical perspective and setting 'the niceties' to one side for these purposes, it would seem to make sense to monitor Channel 0 and communicate on Channel 16 in the eventuality that you feel you may be 'the subject' of any conversations on Channel 0?

I believe on some VHF radios channel 0 is disabled so you cannot monitor it or use it by accident and you have to have a code to unlock the channel to use or monitor it, certainly this is the case with silva s12 model i have. if the coast guard need to contact you they use channel 16. The aberdovey coastguard did a random safety check on me and a mate while we were out fishing earlier in the year and asked me specifically if i had a VHF (which i did) and flares. They said they were doing random checks on as the amount of people kayak fishing had increased dramatically and they were concerned that people were following proper safety precautions.

I know from having had many long discussions with Coastguards around the coast that they are always very happy to be contacted and to take a trip plan. Be aware though......if you leave an estimated return time they won't come looking for you if you don't make a call when you come ashore.

Bottom line though, don't feel guilty because some overanxious bystander called the Coasties and RNLI. It happens all the time and sometimes does save a life. We certainly don't mind............

Incidently I was sat in the ALB during Moonyakers rescue and was very impressed with the good humour in which they took their 'rescue'! We just do wat we are told and were very happy that you didn't actually need our assistance!

All the best

Thanks for that John. Great blog by the way I enjoy reading it. :thumbs:

Simon

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

I believe on some VHF radios channel 0 is disabled so you cannot monitor it or use it by accident and you have to have a code to unlock the channel to use or monitor it, certainly this is the case with silva s12 model i have.

Quite right, no VHFs have channel 0 as it is a private channel soley for the use of declared rescue facilities. In other words........the coasties have it, the RNLI it and rescue helicopters have it. No one else can legally have it (though it is entirely possible to get someone who knows how to programme pretty much any radio with it).

Simon, thanks for the nice comments re the blog, this thread seems to have brought a load of traffic my way so thanks!

John

Have a look at the goings on at Swanage Lifeboat Station here:

http://lifeboatscrapbook.blogspot.com/

Being both a lifeboatman and a kayaker and a fisherman perhaps I can throw some light on this!

There is no rule as such. For short bimbles during daylight hours I never call. For point to point trips even during daylight hours I do. Anything at night I do (if only to let them know your mobile or VHF callsign so if a kayaker is reported you can ba contacted). And if I ever intend to pass a Coastwatch hut I also call (they're easily spooked!)

All the best

Just got round to doing something I have been intent on doing for a month. Thanks John for the balanced view etc.!

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)