Reducing file size of photos

Excalibur

Yes I know I'm an idiot, but how do I reduce file size of photos, to send them to various places. Have got them to JPEG but that's too big. How do I change them to a smaller format? Is there a way of doing it easily?

I may be wrong (I am also an idiot) but JPEG is about as small a format as you are going to get. It is also the format of choice on the net.

Have you considered reducing the size of the picture? It makes the size of the file much smaller and it is easily done in MS Paint (for example).

I may be wrong (I am also an idiot) but JPEG is about as small a format as you are going to get. It is also the format of choice on the net.

Have you considered reducing the size of the picture? It makes the size of the file much smaller and it is easily done in MS Paint (for example).

I did make the size smaller on the scren, but it appears to have no effect on the file size.

OK, Try this:

Open the image in Paint (Start/All Programs/Accessories/Paint)

Hit Ctrl + W

In the Horizontal and Vertical boxes type 50%

Make sure to save the file under a new name.

The new, saved image is now half the size and the actual file size is much smaller.

Edited by Ian FG

Excalibur,

The following article is out of dat, but the first bit about resizing is still relevant:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/pictures.htm

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

use this its free and simple just select the image you want to resize or images http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm look here if you get stuck http://www.ultimate-dvdr.com/dvd-related-s...r-new-post.html

Essentially you need software that has the capacity to resize and compress the file. For resizing see advice above. To compress the file the action would be something like:

File > Save As > JPEG > Quality 60%

I haven't tried the software quoted I use Photoshop and Fireworks. I think Photoshop Elements comes free with many digital cameras and that works in a similar fashion.