Making Bollies

Quest

Fish meals, or things like Trigga, don't need a lot of drying time, so a couple of hours to a day is fine. Birdfood bases, or similar, may take longer in my opinion. Personally, I dry my baits for one or two days. I spill mine out on a tea towel after they are surface dry, then roll them around every few hours, to dry them evenly. Not sure if it makes a difference, but it gives me something to do.

I then freeze in batches of about a kilo. When defrosting them, I let them thaw in the bag, that way, if any more moistness has frost formed inside the bag, it's reintroduced to the boilie.

In the actual fishing situation, I usually tip all the baits into a bucket and leave the lid off, or loose, for the duration of the trip. On a short trip, I leave the bag open at the top. If they are confined to an enclosed space, fresh made baits will go mouldy. Any baits left over, which aren't shot out to pre-bait the next trip, are crushed up small, dried, then added to my Vitalin carpet bait on the next session.

Really, you'll work it out for yourself by trial and error. But remember, if you dry your baits in sunlight, cover them over with a tea towel as well, or the sun will crack them.

Edited by Dunk Fairley

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org