Leadcore or Tubing ?

kestrel

What do you think is the safest and the most efficient at keeping you line pinned to the lakebed ?

Edited by kestrel

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you think is the safest and the most efficient at keeping you line pinned to the lakebed ?

Bit of heavy metal putty on the end of your rig tube, then a Korda flying back lead, then a back lead at the rod end, keeps it all pinned down nice, try to avoid lead core if pos.

Anything is safer than leadcore. My feelings are commonly aired on the stuff and I hate it, and wouldn't allow it on any lakes I controlled. In my mind gravity is the best thing for pinning your line to the lake bed, but the esp anchor tubing is also worth adding (IMHO).

Rob.

Edited by RobStubbs

i use lead core myself i personally don't see how it's unsafe myself maybe you could explain, yes it's unforgiving and has no give what so ever but if your using mono you get the extra strech you need,

now in a result of a snap of using lead core with time the hooks will rust and break off this then resulting in no leadcore been dragged around and i'm pretty sure that if the same fish is caught again and still has the hook and core atached the angler lucky enough to catch it would do the humane thing and relive the carp of the hook.

i'm not shrugging off tubing tho i like the idea of using it but never really use it tho i like to splice myown lead core and use that.

Dan.

i use lead core myself i personally don't see how it's unsafe myself maybe you could explain, yes it's unforgiving and has no give what so ever but if your using mono you get the extra strech you need,

now in a result of a snap of using lead core with time the hooks will rust and break off this then resulting in no leadcore been dragged around and i'm pretty sure that if the same fish is caught again and still has the hook and core atached the angler lucky enough to catch it would do the humane thing and relive the carp of the hook.

i'm not shrugging off tubing tho i like the idea of using it but never really use it tho i like to splice myown lead core and use that.

Dan.

I suppose that a hook link should pull free from the tubing should the lkine snap , where as with leadcore a hook link could remain tied to the leadcore and tether a carp ?

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Rob Im sure youve said before but why is it that you feel leadcore is unsafe?

Because it's inherently more unsafe than any other form of end tackle. Plus it's totally unneccesary (IMHO). Too many people don't know to make safe rigs with it or use it for the wrong reasons.

Before you say it can be tied up safely, I know that, but a lot of people don't. Remember that tubing, which does the same, slides freely up and down the line, leadcore has to be tied on with generally quite bulky knots.

Rob.

P.S. I think Dans reply highlights my reasonings perfectly !

Edited by RobStubbs

Because it's inherently more unsafe than any other form of end tackle. Plus it's totally unneccesary (IMHO). Too many people don't know to make safe rigs with it or use it for the wrong reasons.

Before you say it can be tied up safely, I know that, but a lot of people don't. Remember that tubing, which does the same, slides freely up and down the line, leadcore has to be tied on with generally quite bulky knots.

Rob.

P.S. I think Dans reply highlights my reasonings perfectly !

I don't like leadcore either for the above reason's and also think it contributes to fish flank and scale damage.

I don't like leadcore either for the above reason's and also think it contributes to fish flank and scale damage.

No I think thats rubbish! Ive never seen it despite having heard /read about it.Have you actually seen it yourself?

I take on board Robs comments re people not using it correctly but as said before this can apply to several things.

Dont see why with the correct application a fish should be left trailing anything.even the hook link that it seems many carpers feel aceptable? Any breakage of the main line is simply down to bad angling.If anyone doesnt agree please give me some examples?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!