killing our course fish [poles]

chalky632007

So I am a "Vandal" too?? That will surprise the Grandson!!!! :lol:

See the last post then for an answer Cory!! :lol:

Pineapple might be a bit too easy, Where I come from we have a saying (I think it was inspired by a Billy Connelly sketch, but it stuck) 'I hope your next sh1t is a hedgehog in reverse!' Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are fish holy?

I somehow doubt it but if I decided to get a few barbel for the freezer and took a picture of them to post on here I think the lynch mob would be out in force.

I`m not critising Poles for Gods sake. Its the `coarse fish for the pot` issue. Its NOT part of our culture (ok, stands back and waits for the `I`ve eaten pike` comment) so I don`t see why we should stand back and allow `outsiders` to do it.

Its a problem that needs to be resolved and I really can`t see that pedantic replies picking the bones out a post are exactly constructive to the issue.

Or maybe we should just stand back and wait for our favourite fishery to have been cleared of carp before moaning.

I`m not trying to flame this but the complacency is staggering.

wolf.gif

I have no objection to other EU citizens coming here to work. What I DO object to is them not spending the money they earn in this country. Taking jobs off British workers, only to send the money home is totally out of order. And before the PC brigade start, the British workers can NOT work for the same money, because they have to maintain a house in the UK. Earnings sent home should be subject to appropriate taxation to take account of the differences in cost of living. 90% should just about do it!

On the original subject. If they are taking legal sized fish then it is our fault for not having the laws framed in a way which suits OUR current practices. At present, most of the relevant bye-laws were probably written a hundred years ago. For example why IS there a legal size limit for roach?

Are fish holy?

Just using your analogy, mate

Or maybe we should just stand back and wait for our favourite fishery to have been cleared of carp before moaning.

I should be so lucky :rolleyes:

We've discussed this issue so many times, and I think that the poll (not pole) we had came down on the side of retaining the right to take 'one for the pot'.

If it's done legally, (in method and numbers) then what's the problem? Is it just an ethical thing? If so, then fishing it'self comes under scutiny.

John.

PS. For those new to the forum, then we have debated this subject before.

Here you go, http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.p...ing+coarse+fish

and,

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.p...ing+coarse+fish

If you do a search, and enter 'eating coarse fish' then there are a few others to read.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

If it's done legally, (in method and numbers) then what's the problem? Is it just an ethical thing? If so, then fishing it'self comes under scutiny.

I`d rather see it totally eradicated but if theres control that can be enforced then so be it. I can live with that.

Thing is, its been done to death (I`ve not posted my views before) but whats been done about it? Bugger all.

How many anglers are in this country? A good few million. Why has nothing been done? Is it typical English complacency?

Theres enough of us to start a pressure group and our voice would be loud enough not to be ignored. Isn`t it about time we actually got off our backsides and rather than typing heated opinions onto a keyboard we actually tried to do something about it?

I`ve got no experience of pressure groups but if anyone has and wants to help to get one going then let me know.

wolf.gif

But, according to the poll we had, most didn't want it "eradicated" SW.

Enforcement of the rules is another thing entirely, and comes with the bailiff, licence, EA in general debate.

This thread is about people eating coarse fish, and as I've said, I don't find anything immoral, unethical, or too dangerous to the fish stocks in doing so. (my 'Rant, Aliens' thread, makes clear my main worries in that direction)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I appreciate that this is a paticularly hot topic I don't actually want to get involved in issues of a nationalistic type..

I believe that taking wild fish in moderation for the pot is an acceptable pratice. For instance the removal of the odd jack pike I see no harm in, the removal of a 15lb+ apex predator I do.

If anything there could be a bag limit as such, limiting the numbers of a certain species that one person could take in a day.

Also has anyone actually seen 'immigrants' as they are so often desparigingly called, take fish to eat? I hazrad that there's a fair amount of heresay, 'my mate saw', 'this guy i met the other day mentioned' going on.

In Norfolk and Suffolk we have high numbers of people from Poland, Lativa, Lithuania, Czech Rebulic e.t.c, they're here mainly as low paid farmworkers and are often treated with un-founded suspicion and bigotory..

If anything goes missing on a farm they are an instant and easy source of blame.

We had a case of large scale fish taking from the Broads not so long back, thousands of fish were reckoned to of been taken. Who instantly got the blame - our Polish 'friends'.

It turned out to be a highly organised team of Englishmen, some local, using seine and throw nets to take large numbers of small fish Roach, Skimmers, Perch e.t.c Which were then quickly driven of in vans to be blast frozen, to supply the deadbait trade.

How many frozen Roach have you brought from tackle shops in unbranded clear polythene? Odds are weeks previous they were quite happily swimming around in the River Thurne..

I would summise that the greatest threat to our native species come from native folk and some of their overly zealous entrepreneurial activities. Think Crayfish and Mink for example.

I would take issue with someone importing an alien species to a country they don't belong..

I will add that in the recent years since people of a certain nations have been coming to England for work in numbers. I have seen one guy who I figured might be Polish fishing, whether he was fishing for fun or for the table, I don't know as he didn't catch anything.

He was using a paticularly short, crude rod with what looked like telephone cable as line and a strange jerkbait type thing.

Whether the average farm/casual labourer from a poorer European country can or would want to afford the kind of scientific tackle we use in England to catch numbers of certain species, is another thing.

Edited by dant

theres a very nice polish chap who fishes at our pond ,always has a barbeque (wifes always scuttles of when she see me though!) and to date all i have ever seen on it is very fat sausages .whist english is definately his second language i can make myself clear with gestures or drawings.

he was lacking in a landing net and unhooking mat (club rules make them obligatory) so i drew them on the sheet of my bailiffs pad ,he understood immediatly what a landing net was but obviasly had no understanding of an unhooking mat.

i explained it was a cushion for a fish (the raised eyebrows showed me he not only believed it but though i was pulling his leg :D ) anyway i borrowed one from a neighbouring angler to show him.

next time i saw him he proudly showed me both.

i'm sure most of the problems are down to upbringing and explaining how things are here would solve most of it at least with club members ,how you could or would explain it to "freelance" foreign anglers i havent a clue.

only a decade ago an unhooking mat was laughable and a decade or two before that taking fish home for the pot or the cat part and parcel of fishing and the latter still lingers today .

five years ago i had a hard time trying to get the older anglers to get their obligitory unhooking mats ,most said "i'v been fishing for 60 years without needing one " etc ,my reply was you dont have to buy one! just a binliner with your coat in will do .

all bar a couple with home made mats have shop bought ones finding their great for sitting on on shakespear boxes :D

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

It always astounds me how many bunny huggers we have on here.

There is nothing at all wrong with the killing of coarse fish to eat. Provided it is done with thought as to fish stocks in any particular water.

If it is a water on which there is a "no take" rule then fine. If it is on a water on which no such rule exists then certainly anyone that wants to can take fish for the pot. Yes we need to educate folks about what is an is not appropriate. But to call for the complete ban on taking fish is ludicrous.

There are plenty of waters in the UK where any coarse fish is despised and are removed in many ways, maybe we should campaign for such waters to allow fishing for the pot. But to simply say no to killing fish is wonderful ammunition for the antis. Carry on folks you'll get angling banned yet...

Edited by nick

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

It always astounds me how many bunny huggers we have on here.

There is nothing at all wrong with the killing of coarse fish to eat. Provided it is done with thought as to fish stocks in any particular water.

If it is a water on which there is a "no take" rule then fine. If it is on a water on which no such rule exists then certainly anyone that wants to can take fish for the pot. Yes we need to educate folks about what is an is not appropriate. But to call for the complete ban on taking fish is ludicrous.

There are plenty of waters in the UK where any coarse fish is despised and are removed in many ways, maybe we should campaign for such waters to allow fishing for the pot. But to simply say no to killing fish is wonderful ammunition for the antis. Carry on folks you'll get angling banned yet...

I don't understand your point ,your saying that if we protect fish and show angling is a fare sport and not a blood sport (witch it would be if we killed for the pot )that the antis would disapprove of this in fav of killing fish?