ZoneAlarm

ayjay

I don't think either Sygate or Kerio are being updated http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1000000...39238815,00.htm

Sygate can still be downloaded, but it might be seriously out of date by now.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

nothing out of date about blocking ports on a PC :D and defining what is allowed in and out of those ports

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

not sure if its been mentioned or you have uninstalled zonealarm yet but lookup about zonealarm not allowing you to connect to the internet after uninstalling it was a common problem on older versions but not sure anymore since its been 3 years since i used it.

had this problem before and couldnt use my computer because of it and had to use another to find out the problem

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

not sure if its been mentioned or you have uninstalled zonealarm yet but lookup about zonealarm not allowing you to connect to the internet after uninstalling it was a common problem on older versions

Well, I'm still here, and ZoneAlarm's not :D

I've taken on board what's being said about Kerio and Sygate being out of date, and that has made me wonder how the firewall in my router gets updated, or maybe it doesn't. :unsure:

firewalls will only need updating when the underlying architechtire of TCP/IP is changed. It isn't like anti-virus software which needs to respond to an everchanging software landscape.

Use the links I gave, they will show if your firewall is working. If it isn't then change settings as directed , it will work!

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

firewalls will only need updating when the underlying architechtire of TCP/IP is changed. It isn't like anti-virus software which needs to respond to an everchanging software landscape.

Use the links I gave, they will show if your firewall is working. If it isn't then change settings as directed , it will work!

So by my reconning leaving an old unsupported version of zonealarm would have worked just fine then ?

Rob.

So by my reconning leaving an old unsupported version of zonealarm would have worked just fine then ?

Rob.

Probably, but if one is connecting from behind a router then you should not need to cripple your pc by running unnecessary personal firewall software. Like I say, I don't even use the Windows firewall. The code in my router is doing a fine job.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

So by my reckoning leaving an old unsupported version of zonealarm would have worked just fine then ?

Rob.

Probably, but it gets a bit tedious when it keeps on telling me that there are updates to download but when you do download them they won't install on Win98.

I had stopped even doing that much but it then feels the need to remind me about the updates every few days.

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

A hardware router/firewall will generally protect you from an intruder trying to hack into your system.

However if you download software (a trojan horse, key loggers etc, perhaps downloaded from an email, or a site that you have visited) that sends data back out from your computer, the hardware firewall will not stop the data going out without your express permission.

A software firewall will only allow those software elements within your system that you have expressly given permission to, to send data out.

So, if you want to keep things tight, it's advisable to run a software firewall as well as the hardware firewall that comes with the router.

http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.com/webm...cle.php/3103431

http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Hardwa...ewall_types.asp

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust