How to tie a hair rig

chris mc

Bit of a novice question witch i used to be able to do but forgot ,not for carp it's for barbel.When fishing rivers it's very often ill use 8lb straight to the hook or 10lb and have no need to use swivels etc ,so am looking to simplify my rig by using a hair on my main line ,how do you do this(i ussally use a knotless knot)?

Also does anyone use them "John Roberts Feeder Booms"?Every time I've used one ,2 out of ten cast it gets tangled so I've changed tactics .

Bit of a novice question witch i used to be able to do but forgot ,not for carp it's for barbel.When fishing rivers it's very often ill use 8lb straight to the hook or 10lb and have no need to use swivels etc ,so am looking to simplify my rig by using a hair on my main line ,how do you do this(i ussally use a knotless knot)?

Also does anyone use them "John Roberts Feeder Booms"?Every time I've used one ,2 out of ten cast it gets tangled so I've changed tactics .

Why not use a slightly weaker hook length, in the time honoured fashion, joined to the main line with a swivel? That way, you have less chance of line twist and of leaving great lengths of line in the river after a snap-off. Alternatively, should the need arise, you can mould a bit of "lead" putty round the swivel for a bit of extra weight.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Why not use a slightly weaker hook length, in the time honoured fashion, joined to the main line with a swivel? That way, you have less chance of line twist and of leaving great lengths of line in the river after a snap-off. Alternatively, should the need arise, you can mould a bit of "lead" putty round the swivel for a bit of extra weight.

I've gone back to the many different methods i used to use and catch plenty on before i started using the booms,it's just i was wondering if it was me or a design fault on the booms as they seem like a good idea but just don't seem to work so well(for me).Yeah at times i do use lighter hook lengths 12-10 ,10-8 ,8-6 ,6-5 fluoro carbon etc ,but at times it's just not needed to use a hook length ,and to be honest i haven't been snapt of for many of year (while specimen hunting) thats not to say i wont be soon.Just think over the years I've come to know when to use lighter hook links etc.Don't feel moulding lead around the swivel is a safe method tho as that's basically fishing a bolt rig, IMHO.rig tubing does the similar desired effect to as the lead imho, witch i slide over my swivels etc and weighs a considerable amount less imho.

Edited by chris mc

Cut 6" of nylon/braid/whatever you want for the hair of the required BS tie an overhand loop in it. Thread on a small piece of rig tube put the point of the hook through the rig tube (pointing towards loop) thread around the bend,and along the shank till the tube is opposite the point of the hook.Put the line through the eye of the hook pull it to get the required length,take 6-8 turns arond the shank back towards the point.Drop of superglue and trim off tag end when dry.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Guest Rabbit
I've gone back to the many different methods i used to use and catch plenty on before i started using the booms,it's just i was wondering if it was me or a design fault on the booms as they seem like a good idea but just don't seem to work so well(for me).Yeah at times i do use lighter hook lengths 12-10 ,10-8 ,8-6 ,6-5 fluoro carbon etc ,but at times it's just not needed to use a hook length ,and to be honest i haven't been snapt of for many of year (while specimen hunting) thats not to say i wont be soon.Just think over the years I've come to know when to use lighter hook links etc.Don't feel moulding lead around the swivel is a safe method tho as that's basically fishing a bolt rig, IMHO.rig tubing does the similar desired effect to as the lead imho, witch i slide over my swivels etc and weighs a considerable amount less imho.

I don't really understand where you are coming from on this one Chris you know the need to keep the rig as simple was possible when river fishing, everything in line,. and therefore cutting down the chances of snagging.

Also I cannot think of a better or safer rig than a hooklength-swivel-buffer bead, and clip to lead or feeder.

However I suppose you could dispense with the hair rig and use a bait band for the pellet, but not very Kosher IMHO <_<

Edited by Rabbit

What i have done in the past when i was using line straight through is to use spade end hooks and when tying with a matchman etc, use the tail that is left for your hair by knotting the tail to the required length. :thumbs:

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Despite never having had any problems with the KK I have heard that it's not a particularly strong knot anyway. Can anyone shed any light?

Jim.

Considering that its nighon impossible to exert much more than 11lbs of pressure with a rod and most carp hook lengths are in excess of 15lb (often much more) I dont think it really matters! if you see what I mean?

Cant see why the KK would be a weak knot though any way?

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Use what ever you do for the hair and tie this to the hook using a KK. After threading it back thru the eye tie a half hitch on the shank. Slip on a short length of silicone tube to cover knot and the loose end trim the loose end before the silicone is fully positioned.

I to had no problems with the KK and it breaking till I started using flouro. Might be the brand I'm using , this is why I had to tie a separate hair.

Might be the brand I'm using

Probably is. I found several I'll never use again but also several that are very reliable and I stick with one of them. I'm using the BassPro house brand now, XPS, and it is reliable + inexpensive which is a great combination.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President