Mull of Galloway

Snatcher

Arrived at the Clashwhannon site Friday teatime during a monsoon!! never seen it as heavy.Called into the "Clash" for a few quick beers and as usual the bar was full of Geordie anglers who were booked onto the site. Was looking forward to the Saturday and a bit of bass fishing.High water on the Sat was 12.20 so arrived at one of my favourite marks approx 45 mins before hw.Started working the shore with my favourite popper. The conditions were ideal and I was expecting a few fish.After about 90 mins never even rose one fish. Called it a day then as had arranged to meet Andrew (tack4) and Caitlin and Kyle at Ardwell picnic area

It was nice meeting the bairns again,I am sure they have grown an inch every time a meet them! Anyway Andrew produced a football and commenced to show us some of his silky football skills!!

tack4playingfootie.jpg

Yes he sure had some good moves. Happened to have the tripod in the boot so took a group shot with the timer on.

Groupphoto.jpg

I am the "wee" one second from the right. From there we drove over to Port Logan,the plan being to spin off the back of the pier. As we arrived the heavens opened again so fortunately we had a plan B to fall back on - went to the Port Logan pub for a couple.

I went back to the van after that,determined to catch fish on the Sunday. As the bass fishing has been so poor so far this year decided to target pollack and wrasse on the Sunday. With this in mind went down to the beach in front of the Clash,hammer in hand and knocked off a hundred or so limpets.

Got to one of my favourite pollack marks on the west side of the Mull for about 11.30 this morning.Set up a sliding float baited with limpet and put the stop at about 15/16 foot.

floatfishing.jpg

After about 10 mins the float dissapeared and I struck into a coalie of about 1.5 lbs. I had intended to photograph any fish I caught and there was a small rock pool just behind me ideal for the job. This fish was hooked fairly deep down but with the use of long nosed artery forceps managed to extract the hook ok.Did not want to stress the fish any more so did not bother with a photo and was pleased to see it swim away ok.

My attention was drawn to a rock mark a short distance away when a "family" of anglers decended on it. Mam dad kids and granny all appered to be there and all of them started fishing. It was nice to see and they also caught a few fish between them

Familyaffair.jpg

I counted 11 in their party

Anyway after that coalie missed two more bites then it died off!!! Tried a bit spinning with a toby next and never touched a thing. Next tactic was ledgered limpet,never got one bite. Switched back to the float again and managed to miss two more bites!!!

Time was getting on and decided to try spinning for the last 10 mins or so.Had bought a couple of new lures at Ardwell Marine on my previous visit and they really looked the biz to me so tied one on.

pollacklure.jpg

Afer a few casts thought I had snagged up in the weed,no it was a decent pollack. It gave a very spirited fight and I got it to the side and started clambering down to lift it in. I was thinking to myself what a great shot I would take of it in the rock pool. It was not to be,the hook pulled out just as I was reaching for the fish which was about the 5lb mark.Ah well it was going to be returned anyway and I had had the thrill of the fight.

Packed up,one happy chappie. Back over again a week on Friday. Bring it on :thumbs:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

nice one unca' snatcher

the tack4 squad had a short session nearer home with littletack4 catching the only wrasse we all had bites but only one hook up so it was then off to hacve a go at some mackeral spinnig with only tack4 being successful with 3 big mackeral, 3 coallies approx 1- 1 1/2 lb and two decent pollack biggest just over 4lb hell of a scrap

another m8 arrived, as we were packin up, fresh from an all nighter with 5 bass to 5 1/2 lb to his name and a 15lb bull huss :blink:

Andrew

member of Save our Sharks

SOS

SACN member

it's the taking part that counts!

@==---¬--¬--¬------<(')))>< angling classics

oops duplicate post :wallbash:

Edited by tack4

Andrew

member of Save our Sharks

SOS

SACN member

it's the taking part that counts!

@==---¬--¬--¬------<(')))>< angling classics

Great report ( As Usual) John, Well done !!!!

You gonny be there on the 26/7/8th ??, I know Andrew and kids will be ...:) You might be needed on the boat !!!! :)

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Great report ( As Usual) John, Well done !!!!

You gonny be there on the 26/7/8th ??, I know Andrew and kids will be ...:) You might be needed on the boat !!!! :)

Yes Norrie I am there that weekend. Arrive Friday t time. You talking about a few hours out on the Fri night????

Christine is singing in the Clash on the Sat night,sounds like a good session coming up :thumbs:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy