under oxygenated waters

fish_surrey

I recently payed a trip to a gravel pit in Essex, my first impressions weren't that good, it was badly maintained and it was obvious that at least some of the other anglers who had previously visited had no concern for keeping the place tidy, there was rubbish everywhere, but I thought I'd give it a go.

I started catching almost straight away, all Bream hybrids 1 - 2 Ibs at the most and not really putting up much of a fight either, which is not unusually for lake Bream, but then I caught a 4Ib Carp and that didn't fight either, which I thought was strange, then came the 13Ib Carp, which took me a total of 4 minutes to reel in, now I know that's not right. I later learn that it is due to the water being under oxygenated.

I guess the point I am trying to get to is that if owners of these lakes are not prepared to put in the time and money to take care of the lake, the fish and the surroundings, they shouldn't really be allowed to run a fishery at all. Is there know law to prevent these obvious cowboys from running a fishery or lake?

Fish Surrey

How did you/who ever told you know it was under oxygenated? Hybrids normally go like stink.If there was a serious problem with the DO (Dissolved Oxygen) levels you would have seen different signs such as the fish gasping at the surface and certainly not feeding well!

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

One of the more experienced anglers that I go fishing with from work. I told him about the conditions and he said it sounded like it was under oxygenated. The fish were feeding well, but they were gasping alot when I got them in and they were very slimey, even the Carp. I know Bream are quite slimey, but I've never come across a slimey Carp, at least not as slimey as these were. Plus the bankside was in poor condition and it was covered in litter and old line that had just been thrown aside. All in all a poor lake.

The reason I mention it is that I've caught 4Ib carp at other lakes who have given me the run around for nearly 20 minutes and this 13Ib that I caught just gave up straight away.

Fish Surrey

If I could get DO level indications by just having it described to me I could save a fortune in equipment and time!

Whilst I apreciate your concern it is quite common for anglers/un trained fishery owners to make sweeping assumptions such as this.The danger arises when un qualified diagnosis are made and the true problem (if any) isnt.

If ever you have a concern report it to the EA on the following-

EA Hotline Tel:0800 807060

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I also think you should get your watch checked :) 20 mins for a fourpounder!

I would be more concerned at the lack of any slimyness on the carp, it's when they start to look "dry" and leathery you have to worry.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I don't know the water, but it could be that it's one of the overstocked 'puddles'. From the way you describe the state of the fishery, it looks like the owner might be just in it for the money.

I'm no biologist, but just from my own experience, I have seen the effects on the water quality in such cases.

Although the number of fish present, need more food than the water can naturally provide, (through anglers baits, and top ups from the owners), they also need to crap. You only have to see what comes out as waste at a fish farm, and how toxic it is, to see the effects it can have on a 'fishery' such as this.

I'm not saying that this is the problem, just another option.

As Budgie says, if you are worried about it, have a word with the fisheries dept, at your local EA office.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John