win 10 and cameras

chesters1

just had a strange error plugging my fuji camera into its usb cable ,fuji's device detector does not see it ,but even stranger whilst win 10 sees the camera ,identifies the memory card within it it reports nothing is on the card!.

plugging the card into a card reader and all is normal

seems its not just me and fuji and now it seems other non fuji cameras are having the problem

fuji appears to going to bring out a firmware upgrade for my f770exr (dec?) so being dealt with hopefully

my SL1000 at least is seen in myfinepix studio and the card shown with its contents (the f770fx is seen but incorrectly states it contains no photos )

not much of a problem it runs off the card in a card reader normally but i like to keep change to a minimum

these appear to have the fault as well

Nikon MX2

Nikon J2

Nikon ViewNX-i

D90 Digital SLR

D5000

D7000

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Pretty normal with a brand new OS to have this sort of teething problems. No quick cure for it either unless you want to roll back to an older OS. Otherwise, it will be a matter of waiting for software or firmware updates.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Yes its common as you say ,i also reinstalled iobit start menu 8 ,i got lost on the win10 one trying to find search etc LOL

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Trying to find search??

What's that bloody great bar saying "ask me anything" where cortana lives? That not easy enough to find? You'd rather click another button?

Lol

Fuji are a bugger for firmware and drivers. Especially if you install the Fuji software.

I'd suggest, unless you really really need it, you uninstall the Fuji software and drivers and let windows sort it all out itself.

I have no issue at all with several on my canons inc an eos 100d, and a couple of compacts.

I need the fuji stuff it has lots of features like the 3d and mapping software etc ,strangely the only way to use the inbuilt gps on my camera is to use the fuji software ,i asked fuji tech how you transfer it to google earth and they appeared not to have a clue LOL

I saw ask me anything but i presumed it was just cortana not a search feature to find file x on the pc ,prefer iobits bit of software anyway

And its not just fuji as i mentioned plugging the camera in via usb and windows explorer doesn't see anything on the card

Edited by chesters1

But plugging in via USB will still use the drivers of your Fuji software, possibly.

As a test I'd remove the Fuji software, let windows pick up the cam and see if it works....if it does then reinstall the Fuji software and then test again.

Might just be a situation where the Fuji drivers just won't play ball in windows 10.... So letting windows install its own first and then installing the Fuji software may resolve it

out of curiosity ive done some research on this:

quite a few Fuji users are reporting the issue; current resolution seems to be just use a card reader! .

not the best resolution but it does resolve the issue.

possible reasoning is that Fuji use the DCF file system on their formatting of memory cards and that is causing the issue; which is second hand knowledge from a user speaking to Microsoft;

this of course seems to be ******!

most digital cameras use DCF and i have no issue at all with my Canon cameras, or a couple of other cameras i have sitting about the place!

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/windows-10-wont-let-me-import-photos-from-my/67780584-4a05-4afa-8bdc-e16d9fbc2a0a?page=1&tm=1440490114733

regardless theres a nice long thread here about the issue:

Nikon have had a Windows 10 update; but i cant find anything for Fuji; though there is talk about Fuji having released a firmware update schedule for windows 10 compatibility.

you might want to check into disabling Onedrive though;l which seems to be causing a few issues with importing photos etc

i never use Onedrive or even set it up.

Edited by kirisute

I dont use one drive but it is set up ,dont have a clue how to specify what gets sent.

I disable it though and have a look but as you say its a fuji problem in my 700exr but not in my sl1000