another session ruined by idiots

mike1234

As I can only get out to go fishing on Thursdays and Sundays I usaully opt for the thursday as most people are in work or school or whatever so the banks are less crowded, and there is a better choice of swims.

This week i couldnt make it out on the Thursday so had to make do with a Sunday, i arrived at a local lake at about 7am and set up and had a few nice hours fishing then at about noon the 'caught anything mate' people started wondering the banks, by 2:30 a gang of kids of about 15 turned up with bags full of fishing equipment which was flung down onto a wooded staging then after an hour of throwing stones shouting about whos mother is the biggest slag the rods came out and first cast one of them gets caught in a tree over hanging the bank which was then snapped of every branch within reaching distance,

the lake in question is a day ticket water and under 16s get to fish for free,

so the damaged caused will be repaired with my day ticket fees which is nice to know

Unfortunately angling etiquette or lack of is a fact of life on some fisheries these days.The chav element can also be found on some of my local lakes as well, usually the ones with the most carp in!

Have to say though have never across a day ticket fishery where juniors get to fish for free, the owner must be very rich if he/she can let the kids in for nothing.

I had a similiar situation yesterday, at a fairly well known fishery.

Had a good morning session catching some nice carp, when 2 lads and a young girl turned up, with the bare minimum of gear including no landing net. They then decided they were above the fishery rules, and started "stalking" the carp and using floating baits wherever they fancied, both against the rules.

When I had the luck to hook into a decent carp (and personal best I might add, being my first double figure at 10lb 8oz) they all crowded round making playing the fish even harder while constantly playing "rave" music through a mobile phone. Luckily this place has 8 pools so my brother and myself could move to another lake well away from them but not everyone is that lucky.

The worst part of all this for me was the fact the bailliff was happy to take their money without saying a word to them about their behaviour even though a few other anglers had specifically spoke to him about them.

Guest tigger

I've had experiences very similar but with adults also. I know your not supposed to use violence but I was forced to do so on several ocassions. Only trouble is then you've got to do a sharp exit as you are then the baddy and the one who's now on the wrong side of the law. :rolleyes:

I now try to get as far away from people as poss but even doing that it's virtually impossible to avoid wierd ignorant people of all ages.

Guest tigger
What did you do? Threaten them with your disgorger?

MC

:D Yeah that was about it, but I used my hand and it wouldn't fit down their mouth so easy so ripped their lips a bit ;)

Im afraid its nothing new, We have always had that type of element to contend with. Esecially on day ticket and Commercial fisheries. Its this type of thing that stop me carp fishing and got back on the rivers in the summer

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

It's not uncommon unfortunately, particularly at places run as a business. Try the rivers.

Yes, if such folk DO turn up on the rivers, they soon get bored and pack up. One lot even threw their gear into the river as they were apparently too lazy to pack it up (or perhaps they had pinched it in the first place)

Anyway, I retrieved two lots of gear - pretty useless most of it, but two half-decent eggbeater reels gave good service after stripping them down and cleaning out the silt.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...