First year Carp fishing

phil45

Hello

My name is Phil,this is my first year Carp fishing(Canada)... well I started the end of May. I thought I would share a few pictures of some of the fish I have caught in the past couple of months,fishing Saturdays and the odd Sunday. We can only use one rod per Angler here in Canada.

20.1 Pounds

carp206.jpg

22.0 Pounds

Carp406.jpg

22.8 Pounds

Carp606.jpg

20.9 Pounds

IMG_0548.jpg

24.3 Pounds

pic10.jpg

23 pounds

Carp306.jpg

27 Pounds

Phil27LBSJune17.jpg

25 Pounds

phil25.jpg

19.4 Pounds

19.jpg

23.9 Pounds

23.jpg

29 Pounds

Phil29LBSjune2.jpg

16.3 pounds

fish1.jpg

13.4 Pounds

13.jpg

15.8 Pounds

15.jpg

14.2 Pounds

14.jpg

12.7 Pounds

so far it's been a great year, the fishing has slowed down in July , durning the spring 20 to 30 runs a day are common.. right now we are down to 5 to 8 runs per day... I'm looking forward to the fall.. when the fishing picks up again.

Thanks for looking

Phil

Welcome to the forum Phil. Great looking fish.

Where in Canada?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Phil and welcome,

Great set of photo's and great looking fish in the most superb condition.

I would love to hear about what set up you use and the type of baits.

Regards,

Richard.

PS I have not assembled a collection of catches like that in a lifetime of fishing and this is your first season, very jealous.

Edited by medwaygreen

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

stunning fish , 1 rod only, I am emigrating !

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Lovely condition fish those, had a DVD from Canadian carping, some great footage of catches on there, looked a great place to come and fish.

Closest I got to you, was flying over out of Detroit airport, maybe drop in sometime and give it a try.

Welcome to the forum Phil. Great looking fish.

Where in Canada?

All the fish were caught on the St. lawrence River, Ontario, Carp fishing on the St Lawrence is a untapped gold mine... fish over 50 Pounds are caught every year, 30's are common , and in the spring ... you will more than likly hook into a fourty( I haven't ,but like I say this is my First year), I normaly fish Salmon, Lake Trout and Rainbows on Lake Ontario till Aug. then I fish the famous Bay of Quinte for Giant Walleye till freeze up.

Medwaygreen

All the fish above were caught on 1.5 pop up Bannana boilees, I use field corn for baiting, soaked for 24 hours in Hot water and I add powder molasses, and icing Sugar... some times Some fruit drink powder for color I use about 2 Kilos of corn ... and I spread about 20 Boilees in the area. all the fish were taken in deep water.. about 15 to 30 feet.

Thanks every one for the warm Welcome

Wish I'd been a carp angler in 1979-80 when I was making occasional trips from Lake Michigan to Greenland and back. Plenty of time for fishing but never even thought of fishing for carp in those days.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Phil and welcome,

Great set of photo's and great looking fish in the most superb condition.

I would love to hear about what set up you use and the type of baits.

Regards,

Richard.

PS I have not assembled a collection of catches like that in a lifetime of fishing and this is your first season, very jealous.

I met a gentlemen(Tim) from Bedfordshire this Spring, although we only shared a bank for about 10 hours, as he had to leave to go back to the UK, we have become great friends.. Tim has a few 50 plus pound Canadian Carp under his belt ... and he did tell me fishing Carp back in the UK was just not the same any more(I'll post a few Pictures of his carp on the bottom of this post).. as you can see by the Pictures the Carp I've been getting, spend their lives in a giant river system.. the fish are long and lean... and fight like no other, it's nothing for these fish to almost spool me (6500 series reel)on the intial run (my spelling sucks) I use 65 Pound Braid and 3 wt Shimano rod, I started of with 2 1/4 Weight Nash ... but these fish are to heavy for the lighter rods... if they get into the weeds.. well lets say it can be a long waiting game to who will give in first... or make the first mistake :rolleyes::rolleyes::D .

Here are a few Pictures of tims Fish He sent Me....enjoy

Tim, 40 Pounds

Tims40Pounder1.jpg

Ron, Tims Mate 35 Pounds

Ron_35lbs.jpg

The next 2 pictures are of Tims 54 .12 pounder

Tims51.jpg

Tims51Pounder2.jpg

I'm hoping Tim and Ron come back next Spring..

Cheers

Phil

Wish I'd been a carp angler in 1979-80 when I was making occasional trips from Lake Michigan to Greenland and back. Plenty of time for fishing but never even thought of fishing for carp in those days.
I agree Newt... I've been fishing for over 44 years... I started with Bass... moved to Walleye , then Muskie.... in the late 70's and the early 80's I found that I could drive to northern N.Y. (Watertown) about a 3 hour Drive, and catch 30 to 40 pound Salmon...I have been chasing them ever since.I seen Carp by the Hundreds Spawning in the Shallows ... never ...ever did I think of trying to catch one... I run a Salmon Charter service, well I did, till I discoverd Carp... my boat is still dry and in still in storage :wallbash::bangin: but I'm making the other Charter Captains happy... I've sent all my clients this year to them :rolleyes:

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the info, that is very interesting about molasses powder, I have not seen that in the UK but I guess much easier to use and mix than the liquid molasses that I use over here.

Regards,

Richard. :thumbs:

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.