low tide shrimping

christian kimber

Im in the process of building my own shrimp push net and it is coming along nicely, but i want to use it on low tide off the beaches of eastbourne and pevensey.

Having never done this before is this realistic?

Would go to Beachy head but really further away than i would like so can just pushing a net around in the surf at low tide reap results?

Edited by christian kimber

There is a chap that goes down to St Mary's Bay (between Dymchurch and New Romney, Kent) near low tide and walks parallel with the beach pushing a huge shrimp net.

He empties into a large bucket, every few "trawls".

I have spoken to him and he expects to get a "good feed", with very little effort.

The beach at the state of the tide he goes, is very flat and you could walk out 50 yards and the water would not be above your knees.

I don't know if this makes it good shrimp terrain, or not.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Shrimps favour sand and Mud if youve got that you should get shrimps. if all you have is shingle or shell grit I dont think you will have any luck Although Ive never tried that type beach before so I could well be wrong?Suck it and see, As I said before watch out for weavers, on the up side you may get bonus sand eels. :thumbs:

Edited by five bellies

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Shrimps favour sand and Mud if youve got that you should get shrimps. if all you have is shingle or shell grit I dont think you will have any luck Although Ive never tried that type beach before so I could well be wrong?Suck it and see, As I said before watch out for weavers, on the up side you may get bonus sand eels. :thumbs:

Got sum thigh waders so the weavers are no probs and if in net have stick to flick them out!

I thought it looked pretty sandy on low tide,looks like it is shingle top of tide and midway but sand at lowest so may have a hour or so shrimping before i have to move off.

What about inside the marina and behind Eastbourne's marina arms? that looks sandy and mud? will check it out tomorrow at low tide and see.

Thanks for your help both of you.

I will learn this i suppose as i go along! tight lines :thumbs::clap2:

A couple of year ago when i was there pumping lug,there was a guy doing this at white horses and he was catching a lot,also had a few peelers and quite a lot of baby squid/cuttlefish.Id be a bit wary about doing it in the habour as its very muddy and id be worried about getting stuck!!! :blink: Have you done much fishing there recently,whats it been like?

dave

Push nets work fine but they are very hard on the back. I was introduced to the pull net many years ago and found they are much less effort to use as you can tie the tow rope round your waist and use your weight to good effect. They are made like a goal post with a loose length of chain attached to the bottom of each leg. The net is a simple sack shape.

486217568_24e1145b18_o.jpg

Edited by Phil Arnott

Dave thanks for advice i was thinking of doing my shrimping around the beaches to the right of the marina near to the sewer works but will have to wait for the real low ebbs that show up the most sand.

I did go fishing yesterday as it happens and didnt do too good. Had one eel close in and a little flattie and bumped off what felt like a bream or flattie.But apart from that no mackies or bass. The weather has been pretty dire but i am new to the area so could be better further up the beach and pier.

Phil that net looks the business and much easier to drag instead of pushing.But i have only just finished my push net and i want to try it out and see if i can actually get a few prawns for live bait!!

Thanks again to everyone,will try this net out and let people know how it goes.

Dave if i hear anyhing on the fishing or mine improves i will let you know.

Forgot to say,there are a lot of shrimp/prawns in and around the rocks/weed in the little "bay" pevensey side of the marina,might be worth getting a drop net or prawn trap and put it in at high tide whilst fishing of the rocks,constant supply of fresh bait then! :thumbs: Im hoping to get down there soon ill give you a shout if i do?

dave

.. can just pushing a net around in the surf at low tide reap results?

As long as it's sand you have a pretty good chance. I don't know your area at all but if they are anything like the ones up north you'll find they move around a bit with the seasons, so if you don't find them at one place just try a couple of miles further along. The water doesn't usually need to be much above knee deep to halfway up your thigh. If you see them jumping out in front of the net as you are pushing it along you know you are catching plenty. Check your local fishery byelaws to see the local rules about sifting the catch with a riddle to let baby flatfish back into the sea.

To hell with all that pushing and pulling I bought a couple of those circular drop prawn traps mainly to amuse the grand children and was very pleased with the result, a fine feed for all the family made a real change from those frozen things. :D

Did much better when I went on my own and left them down for more than two minutes at a time. :lol::lol:

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist