Finally a result on the thames

viney

I'll try and put the pics up on here, I've managed to get them on fb but I can't get image shack to work on this phone!

I was more in the way of carp fishing to be honest as the water is so still I used alarms and dropbacks.

I fished double 14mm hair rigged boilies with around 1/4 kg of freebies over each rod

The 6 was hooked well down in its mouth rather than lip hooked!

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88

Dodgy oi I resemble that remark

Good dangling mate and proves short hairs and hook lengths can get the Chub

I know of 2 catfish out of the lower in the last few days magical river of dreams if occasionally a heartbreaker

The Barbel there are truly fish of dreams if you can track them down,will start putting our plan together

• Like 1

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I'm a big believer now in big chub, open water. My chubbing improved massively once I'd realised they aren't always tucked away in snags...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I'm a big believer now in big chub, open water. My chubbing improved massively once I'd realised they aren't always tucked away in snags...

I think the snag/cover rule still holds true for most chub fishing but the only two I've caught which weighed over 6lb both came from the same stretch and both from open water. I know of another angler whose 7-03 came from a similar snag free swim. Perhaps when they grow to that size they feel more confident about looking after themsleves and don't need such a secure environment? So what to look for, flow, depth or type of river bed?

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I think the snag/cover rule still holds true for most chub fishing but the only two I've caught which weighed over 6lb both came from the same stretch and both from open water. I know of another angler whose 7-03 came from a similar snag free swim. Perhaps when they grow to that size they feel more confident about looking after themsleves and don't need such a secure environment? So what to look for, flow, depth or type of river bed?

Interesting topic. My PB came from a snag swim on the Kennet 7.03. The same fish was caught in the following November at 7.05 and then again March at 7.11 about 100yds upstream in a steady glide - so clearly it was fairly nomadic. All the rest of my Kennet 6+ fish from steady glides in winter - but tend to come from the same spots which points to them not being especially nomadic. My Loddon PB 6.06 came from an overhung swim in summer, winter 5s coming from the open water. My Thames PB (confirmed by JV44 - but not netted by him, thank Christ!) just over 6 from a steady glide in winter.

I fished with Trefor West (who knows a bit about chub!) a number of times, and he always said that it was a mistake to ignore the steady glides especially in the winter.

I think we are conditioned to fish to snags/cover because they look 'fishy', and no doubt they hold fish. In pressured waters I think its often a better bet to fish away from the obvious snags/cover - because that's where everyone fishes for them and they get to associate baits close to snags as a threat. Tony Miles makes this point in this months CAT. On the Thames, not so pressured as its smaller tribs, is probably less prone to this effect and a more 'natural' environment in behavioural terms

As such I believe its not the whole story, a point Anderoo makes on his experiences on the Thames. My Thames chub experience needs some work - only being one season. Is there a seasonal pattern - cover in clear summer conditions - open water in the autumn/winter?