Tench Venues

Deanoxxx7

Hi Mat

I'm in Harlow, south essex.

I am lucky to have a lot of very good commercial fisheries around and although i don't mind carp they dominate so many waters.

Now a lot of these waters have good tench so i maybe need to work out how to target the tench better ?

thanks

Dean

How far can you travel? If you think it's worth it there's a fishery in Lingfield called Beaver Farm. Has a tench pond called Eden Pond with tench up to double figures.

Fished it for the first time two weeks ago on the pole and had about 6-7 tench up to 4lbs. Good size roach and some skimmers as well. It's tiny though and shallow in most spots. I was fishing just under 2ft depth. Conventional tench baits only netted me bream and roach. Caught all the tench on Krill hook pellet. They were all over my swim though, hemp as a feeder worked really well and there were tench bubbles all day long.

I think a good feeder set up and perhaps an over nighter could net some of the bigger tench.

Probably about 1hr 20 mins drive away for you.

Having lived in East Grinstead for most of my life I fished Beaver Farm a reasonable amount when I was younger. There is absolutely no way there are double figure tench in Eden Pond, if there is I'll eat my hat. I never had one much over 4lbs but haven't fished it for 5 years. They put some carp in there a while ago and the average size of the tench seemed to get smaller, not sure if those are still in there or what has changed lately. There's definitely some big fish on the complex but I'm sceptical about the things I haven't seen a photo of, i.e. 10lb tench, 35lb pike and 5lb perch. Did see a guy catch a 44lb carp on Snipe a few years ago. There's meant to be some big tench in there, very believable with all the boilies that go in but I'd imagine they are few and far between. Also heard that there was a fish kill that nobbled most of the big carp, not sure how the tench will have faired.

"the countryside must be experienced in its worst weather to appreciate the shades of its beauty"

I'm only going by what they say. I had a good day on it and was pleased with the tench I caught, as well as the silvers. To be honest it's not often I catch tench that need two hands to hold. 4lbs might not be big for you but as a prodiminebtly pole (ex match) fisherman, it is for me.

I did find it strange it's described as quite a good perch spot but I didn't have any, or any carp. But like I said it's the first and only time I've fished Eden. One downfall I'm certain of is it has crayfish.

I guess it depends on what you class as a good Tench venue. Is that a venue where you can catch lots of Tench, big Tench, easy fishing or some place you can catch lots of big easy fish?

If you are after a big Tench but hard fishing a lot of pits in Essex and Herts have huge fish such as Hooks Marsh and Forty Acre. I have never been interested in fishing these venues for Tench but have seen photos and heard reports from those who have fished it. Both these are run as part of a consortium and available on a whole lot of Essex and Herts club tickets

Almost all Essex and Herts pits will contain Tench in the 3lb to 5lb range and if you get your tactics right and with a bit of luck you should be able to get a few. A Google of Lee Valley fishing will bring up a lot of pits and who controls them.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Hi C Walker, I really enjoyed catching the tench there. It was the first and one of the few places I've caught any regularly. A 4lber is still a memorable fish for me. Just believed everything I was told there as an impressionable youngster (everyone wants to believe stories of big fish right?) and eventually came to realise there was probably a few porkies being told. Didn't mean to be putting a downer on your days fishing at all, it sounded like a cracker, just a word of warning on the bailiffs claims.

I do remember seeing it riddled with crayfish at one point. They appeared quite out of the blue. I understand they came out of weir wood reservoir, worked there way down the Medway from Forest Row, then a fair old way down to where it meets the River Eden, headed up there, up the Eden Brook and then eventually into Eden Pond. Amazing when you consider as the crow flies weir wood res is probably not more then 6 miles from Lingfield yet at a guess I'd imagine those crayfish have done a good 30 miles to get there.

I'm not too sure how far it is from you but Green Lagoon on the Letchworth Angling ticket is a cracking place to fish for tench. Early season you can catch them a few feet out in the crystal clear margins. Like Dales said mostly 3-5lbs. A five being a good one, though they do get bigger. Tench are the predominant large fish. Although there are carp in there you wouldn't have any trouble just targeting the tench. They do get more finicitky as the season goes on although I understand that's fairly common with tench?

Edited by Christian T

"the countryside must be experienced in its worst weather to appreciate the shades of its beauty"

I guess it depends on what you class as a good Tench venue. Is that a venue where you can catch lots of Tench, big Tench, easy fishing or some place you can catch lots of big easy fish?

I enjoy fishing for tench anywhere, from small weedy farm ponds where any tench over a pound is unusual to big gravel pits where the tench might be huge, but location might be "difficult"

"happy wanderers mate" - Fred J Taylor

I suppose my favourite lies in the middle of that range - an old estate lake with lily beds and marginal flags where tench feed on the snails, etc attached to the flag and lily stems. 3lb is good, a five-pounder is exceptional, Traditional "lift" tactics, and its also traditional to say "good ol' Fred" when you connect with a rod-bender.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I enjoy fishing for tench anywhere, from small weedy farm ponds where any tench over a pound is unusual to big gravel pits where the tench might be huge, but location might be "difficult"

I suppose my favourite lies in the middle of that range - an old estate lake with lily beds and marginal flags where tench feed on the snails, etc attached to the flag and lily stems. 3lb is good, a five-pounder is exceptional, Traditional "lift" tactics, and its also traditional to say "good ol' Fred" when you connect with a rod-bender.

Absolutely! If I found a place like that (and I thought I had a few years ago at Wotton) then that would be amazing.

Years ago I did find a place like that, a perfect jewel of a water that a small angling club controlled; we caught wondefull numbers of Tench, Roach and Bream and the odd Pike in Winter. Suddenly one new season (on June the 16th) we all started to catch carp up to twenty pounds (none had been ever been caught from this venue). The following season the club lost the rights (after almost half a century) to a "new" carp syndicate.

I still get very sad about that lake to this day, although I had no evidence, I was, in my opinion, convinced that the carp were illegally introduced from a very exclusive nearby Shropshire syndicate water during the clsoe season and then they waited till the rights were up for renewal the following year and gazumped the club into oblivion.

Anyway, I hope the original poster finds a venue nearby and apologies for going off thread a little.

Regards,

Chris

Edited by goosequill

' The "Dandy of the Stream", a veritable Beau Brummell, that is the Perch and well he knows it!' --The Observers's Book of Freshwater Fishes of the British Isles

Visit My Galleries