Great White Shark Attacks A Hobie Kayak

SpeciMan

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the descriptions given by witnesses it sounds like it was just an exploratory bite to check out what the strange object was rather than a full blown predatory attack which would have been considerably more violent (breaching occurs with many white shark ambush predatory attacks but didn't in this case).still he was luck to get away with just a love bite to his yak and a hell of a story to tell.

I had to laugh at some of the ideas like carrying a bowie knife strapped to your leg in case a white shark attacked( i think someones watched jaws too many times)or shoot the shark with a flare(hints of jaws 2 perhaps), i mean these sharks can hit with such speed that they completely breach the water (and weighing up to 4000lbs that takes a hell of a lot of force) you get hit by a white shark like that and it'll all be over before you know it let alone have time to grab your bowie knife or flares.Fair play to these guys though they are yak fishing in an area with a well documented population of white sharks and a well documented record of white shark attacks, that takes some nerve.

that takes some nerve.
More like stupidity. A bit like taking a walk in the bush at night and wondering WTF you got bitten by a lion or a hyaena. It is EASY not to be bitten by a shark. Keep the fkcu out of his manor and he'll leave you alone.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

From the descriptions given by witnesses it sounds like it was just an exploratory bite to check out what the strange object was rather than a full blown predatory attack which would have been considerably more violent (breaching occurs with many white shark ambush predatory attacks but didn't in this case).still he was luck to get away with just a love bite to his yak and a hell of a story to tell.

I had to laugh at some of the ideas like carrying a bowie knife strapped to your leg in case a white shark attacked( i think someones watched jaws too many times)or shoot the shark with a flare(hints of jaws 2 perhaps), i mean these sharks can hit with such speed that they completely breach the water

either 16mph or 16kmh in attack mode from memory :thumbs:

Edited by richi

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

More like stupidity. A bit like taking a walk in the bush at night and wondering WTF you got bitten by a lion or a hyaena. It is EASY not to be bitten by a shark. Keep the fkcu out of his manor and he'll leave you alone.

Unfortunately the coast of california is the great white sharks manor and so is the french coast and the med and also the areas around africa and australia in fact they are one of the most widely distributed sharks there is, so unless you intend to keep out of most of the worlds oceans(you may get away with swimming in the arctic or antarctic) you are going to be in his manor. Its not stupid to take part in a sport you enjoy and with kayak fishing as with all sports there is some element of risk involved(and in the case of shark attacks the risks are actually pretty low)you just have to be aware of the risks and take steps to minimise those risks as best you can, but hell life without some risks would be bloody boring.

either 16mph or 16kmh in attack mode from memory :thumbs:

From what i've read they can attain a maximum swimming speed in bursts of between 25 -35mph however it is obviously very difficult to measure the exact speed of an attacking great white and these speeds were only estimates.

I was booked on the 1030 dive at Byron Bay in northern N.S.W.but they cancelled it because a bloke on the 9am dive had just been eaten! :headhurt: but we were in their manor as you say :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph