Great White Shark Attacks A Hobie Kayak

SpeciMan

All fishing is competitive, it's man (or woman) against fish.
I'm sorry but I for one don't see it that way. I don't go fishing to catch fish, I go to observe nature, to relax and get out of town for a while. If I catch a fish, that's a bonus, if it's a Thicked Lipped Grey Mullet, that's a bigger bonus since that is the only species I target, anything else is collateral damage. Whatever I catch is released anyway, whether it be a 6lb mullet or a 6lb sea bass. Fishing at least to me is a pass time, no more a sport than my other pass time, astronomy. Just my two bits worth, your mileage may vary.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha ha very good point Andrew :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

As a few people on here know I have a healthy fear of ol chompy! It was on the radio as well and a few "experts" have seen the video and reckon it may well be real, but again, so the Sun says ha ha! :thumbs:

There have been claims for years that it is possible for chompy to get into our waters! I travel to Jersey C.I. a lot and wondered if there was a chance of seeing them down there (hope not!!) If anybody knows for sure, PLEASE DONT TELL ME HA HA!!

SDD~~~~ :sun:

The sea temp around the UK is within the range for Great whites. With giant Yellow fin tuna being occasinal visitors to our shores, the question should not be, do great whites patrol our waters? but how often? :g:

Bb

The sea temp around the UK is within the range for Great whites. With giant Yellow fin tuna being occasinal visitors to our shores, the question should not be, do great whites patrol our waters? but how often? :g:

Bb

As I have just posted in a similar topic in the Non Fishing Chat forum, there is no evidence, that Carcharodon carcharias is even an occasional visitor to our shores, despite our seas being within its preferred range. My best Wild Assed Guess is that they almost certainly do visit our shores on rare occasions, but there is no convincing evidence that this is so.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Bb

Just been on goggle, on average there are 6 fatal shark attacks each year, there are 900 people are killed by donkeys..... so when walking down the beach don't look out to sea for danger keep your eyes facing forward and if you see a straw boater with a long pair ears sticking out coming towards you, be afraid , be very afraid :o

:D

Just been on goggle, on average there are 6 fatal shark attacks each year, there are 900 people are killed by donkeys..... so when walking down the beach don't look out to sea for danger keep your eyes facing forward and if you see a straw boater with a long pair ears sticking out coming towards you, be afraid , be very afraid :o

:D

You also have a much greater risk of being kicked to death by a donkey than by dying in an air accident. It's not the donkey giving pleasure rides on the beach that one need be concerned about though. Most of these will be females or geldings. Donkey stallions (known as Jacks) are the dangerous ones.

As i stated in an earlier post the most northerly recorded great white shark in the north east atlantic was caught off la rochelle in france which is about 400 miles from the english coastline, now white sharks that have been tagged have been recorded having made journeys of over 10,000 miles(in the case of a female named "nicole" a journey from australia to south africa and back, a distance of over 12400 miles, in under 9 months)so a journey off approx 400 miles to the coast of the uk would hardly be a massive undertaking for one. although there has never been a white shark caught off our coast there have been many unproven sightings(are they all incorrect?) and thre is no reason for them not to venture into our waters(the water temperature is well within their range, there is a plentiful supply of food(seals abound around our coastline, at the start of the 2000 breeding season approx 124,000 grey seals alone). I personally believe they are vistors to our coast but because they are very rare anyway chances of one being caught or seen are minimal, so the chances of actually being attacked by one off our coast is next to nothing(unless of course your just really unlucky and theres always a first time).

As for jersey, well SDD your nearer to where they have been caught(la rochelle and the mouth of the loire) than the rest of the uk so probability wise your chances must be increased(but only fractionally). :thumbs:

Edited by snakey1

I personally believe they are vistors to our coast but because they are very rare anyway chances of one being caught or seen are minimal, so the chances of actually being attacked by one off our coast is next to nothing(unless of course your just really unlucky and theres always a first time).

As for jersey, well SDD your nearer to where they have been caught(la rochelle and the mouth of the loire) than the rest of the uk so probability wise your chances must be increased(but only fractionally). :thumbs:

How can one 'believe' in something, without evidence?

How can one 'believe' in something, without evidence?

Ask any one of the millions of christians, muslims, buddhists etc in the world or even those people who chose to believe in intelligent alien life.