Bulk Buying Groundbait

Errrm

Hello errm

Sorry for my first post must have pushed the wrong button??

I buy a lot of my basics from copdockmill such as white/brown

crumb, fish meal, groats, hemp, pellets, wheat, vitalin, betaine and molasses.

You can save money, have fun and have a sense of achievement when you catch on a mix you have mixed yourself

Smile they said life could get worse, I did and it was

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Garylee and welcome to the forum!

Good first post. :thumbs:

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

All this talk of Copdock Mill....I expect a healthy discount next time I go in :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

There lots of different types of product you're mentioning :-). I have only really ever used basic crumb apart from pre-mixed packs. Can anyone give me a quick idea ( or a link to a good article ) what each of the different products mentioned are used for i.e flavouring, binding etc. I know molasses is a sweet flavouring, is it it a liquid? what are fish meal, groats, hemp, pellets, wheat, vitalin, betaine used for?

The main reason I want to mix my own groundbait is to make it cheaper ( I've just bought my first house so money is hard to come by :-) ). There are huge amounts of small roach and rudd in the pond ( which can be fun sometimes :-) ) which tend to take a lot of things on the drop so getting enough feed on the bottom to hold tench and bream seems to be my main problem.

Thanks for all the info.

Errrm

I agree there are lots of good cheap ingredients out there and where there are lots of fish it will be fun to experiment.

Reading my previous post it looked almost like I was an agent for sensas but I was just trying to point out that its not just brown crumb in the bag.

There are some wonderfull additives mixes etc that you can buy cheaply. Archie braddock has been mentioned so for flavours read everything you can from him.

For particle to add obviously you can get hemp and boil yourself. I have for a couple of years now been using wheat boiled until it softens and splits. This has become a cracking cheap additive and a very good and easy to use hookbait for roach. Much easier to use on the hook than hemp.

The other one I found by accident when I ran out of wheat I pinched some of the wifes mixed chicken feed. Boiled it up and there were some lovely yellow bits that swelled up and softened. You can buy this on its own and I have been doing so for a couple of years now. Its a brilliant particle espescially through feeder or loose feeding infact its very versatile. Its called kibbled maize. Its cheap and is basically small bits of sweetcorn/maize.

You do have to boil it just right other wise you end up with a pudding but its quick and easy to do only anbout 10mins.

Its worked very well in many situations for me. In the rivers it has enabled me to feed and hold fish without the problems feeding maggots ie lots of small fish, perch espescially.

Hope this helps infact if this post heads along the (what additives and mixes can be done route) we will all learn something. Thats what this forum can be so good for.

best regards

John

I've decided to have a mess around with brown crumb for tomorrow's fishing I have about 3kg of ground bait, I also bought 1/2 kg of molasses mix should all this be used or just a small portion of it, or is it not enough?

I asked at the tackle shop what price they would sell 20kg of groundbait for and I was told about £18 so I probably should have asked there first :-). I'll keep a look out for some animal feed suppliers in the area I live.

Another question, does anyone have any links to articles about groundbait mixing or any idea of some books which are good?

Ok, I've read that a maximum of 20% molasses should be used in groundbait mixes but I'm unsure about the validity of this because I read it on a random web page found by google :-). If anyone has any views on this then can they post them please.

Thanks

Hello Errm

I don't know what molasses mix you have ?

The molasses I buy get is a liquid horse feed supplement.

Let me know what type of fish your going for and i'll give some advice on a mix.

Hello Errm

I don't know what molasses mix you have ?

The molasses I buy get is a liquid horse feed supplement.

Let me know what type of fish your going for and i'll give some advice on a mix.

It's a dark fine powder which seemed to be a generic brand, does this help?

I'm really after bream and tench, there a few ( very few ) carp in the lake all about 20+lbs but I'll only be using a 2.4lb hook length so I'm not really after them but the hook length will be fine for the tench and bream to about 7lb.

Hi

The mix I have been using for bream is:

About 200mls of molasses half a teaspoon of betaine mixed with water.

Two pints of brown crumb.

Two pints of vitalin ground so it will go through a maggot riddle.

Most of a loaf of white bread ( 5 or 6 slices kept for bait).

Sometimes a third of a bag of magic or sensas silver fish.

Mix with the molasses/betaine/water and more water if needed until the mix just holds together with a squeeze.

Let the mix sit for a while and then add more water if needed.

If I'm feeder fishing I'll keep some of the mix fairly dry for the feeder.

Then the rest will have particles added such as dead maggots, corn, hemp, whole vitalin and then a little more water until the mix holds tegether well for feeding with a catapult.

Be careful when adding water because too much and the mix can go like concrete because the vitalin and the white bread are both strong binders .

Fishmeal can also be added ( 1-2 pints ) and the mix works well on the method(just add more vitalin if needed and water to bind)