Dink Dink Rig?

Elton

Posted on behalf of Lorne. Please add all replies to this thread:

Hello

What and how is a dink dink rig used?

I heard it is useful for fishing upstream.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Posted on behalf of Lorne. Please add all replies to this thread:

The dink-dink rig is a weight that sits on the bottom, and someway up from that a length of line (a foot or more) containing the hook-length, which floats downcurrent.

Easiest way to create it is to tie a large loop, using a water knot, then cut the line at the bottom of the loop.

Tie a weight to one of the two ends, and a hook to the other.

Quite a good rig for chub, and takes can be exceptionally ferocious.

My concern would be a line break above the knot, leaving the fish tethered to the weight.

So, rather than attach the hook directly to the mainline, use a lower bs hooklength, and/or consider using a rotten bottom to attach the weight, so the weight is lost if it becomes snagged, rather than the line breaking higher with a fish on.

(It's called a dink-dink rig because the bites are usual a dink.. dink...WHAM! )

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

If memory serves me right the dink dink was a feeder rig devised for catching lots of small tackle shy fish on the Trent in the 80s. The basis of the rig was that the hook was above the feeder and that the hooklength was very short. Efectively we are talking about a sort of self hooking rig to catch fish interested in the feeder itself.

the one i know as a dink dink method ,is this one used on the trent

DinkDink.jpg

its a confidence rig ,the shy fish come onto the the bait (safely) down stream and work their way upto the feeder .

i've recalled this question comming up on here before !? Here & i've checked my datafiles (i save all the good stuff for future referance as text files etc) and found this

Fishing the "Dink"

mickyd

(engineering) My team mates have just come back from a few days practice on the Trent, one method that the boys were talking about was the Dink. There was two trains of thought about how to fish it, i shall explain then i want your veiws.

First off attatch the feeder to the end of the line then put a loop in the line with a four turn water knot about four inches away from the feeder, then put a six inch hooklength. you also need to use at least half an ounce more on the feeder thats the first set up.

The second one again you need to fish a much heavier feeder, the set up for this one is. Slide a snap link swivel on to the main line also a drennan bead swivel, the bead swivel is to attach the hooklength to. Then twizzle the main line together with the bead swivel in the middle(the bead swivel acts as the stop) the length of the twizzle needs to be about 2 inches it is finished off with a three turn water knot. The snaplink should just go over the knot and on to the tizzled section of line, attatch your feeder to the snaplink and your six inch hooklength to the bead swivel. This last method works brilliantly on carp waters, the idea behind both is that they are almost self hooking rigs.Come on boys lets have your comments or do you do it a different way.

Posted on 10.07.04 at 15:20

vinny I have only fished this method a couple of times but this is how i was told to do it

First of all i use 6lb maxima(minimum) on rivers(never tried it on stillwaters) and slide feeder ,bomb or whatever onto line so its free running,

Next tie on your hook,preferbly eyed and trim

then tie your bomb etc... leaving a 1 inch tail or less so hook stands out vertically ?

Im sure thats how we done it anyway?

Posted on 10.07.04 at 15:32

Squatt The dink dink is best fished with a heavy feeder(2 oz +). It is fixed on a loop rig with a 1-3 inch hooklength coming from the 'wrong' end of the loop. Plus points it's a very active method, cast every few minutes and it's self hooking. Negative points, the feeder is below the fish and can bump the odd fish off. The reason why it's so effective is the bait is not on the bottem and fools wary fish. Hope this helps.

Posted on 10.07.04 at 16:56

robbo

(Guernsey+Channel Islands) So basically it's a fixed paternoster rig?

Posted on 10.07.04 at 18:07

robbo

(Guernsey+Channel Islands) Sorry, semi-fixed?

Posted on 10.07.04 at 18:07

nicky the bricky

(witherington) mickyd,check out THE COMPLETE BOOK OF LEGERING by BOB ROBERTS ,published by DAVID AND CHARLES 1993.Chapter7 page88.Tells u all u need to know.Tried this method back in the 1990s, it was devastating.Tight lines

Posted on 10.07.04 at 19:52

Mick209

(Planning an indoor venue full of guppies) I thought you fished that method when you kept getting missed bites on a normal tail. Thats what I got told to do after a nightmare session on the trent once.

Posted on 10.07.04 at 20:06

tony 21

(London Postal) Hello mick, used the "dink dink" to good effect years ago on the lower thames for the dace when the river was clear and they were out of float range, also on the middle river for chub under the far bank tees (island pegs at bourne end, cliffton hampden etc),to avoid on-the-drop crushed maggot syndrome. keep it simple..6" above the feeder use about 3" of proper hooklength, with a proper bit of Japanese steel on the end (if there going to have it they`le have it).

Hope to see you this week on the div 1, i was next peg on the stainforth last year fishing for freds london royal mail team.

Posted on 11.07.04 at 22:29

mickyd

(engineering) Nice to hear from you Tony, lets hope we can draw a couple of good pegs this week.I wouldnt mind one of those Barbel pegs on Collingham, but at the end of the day i just want to be sat on a few fish.

Thanks for your veiws boys keep them comming i might have to put them to good use on Saturday.

Posted on 12.07.04 at 07:03

Phil Stevenson

(Now trying my hand at carpin) I wouldn't bother with the dink,just fish a big line straight through to a proper hook. I have been talking to several anglers who have been fishing the river and they tell me they have been getting smashed off on proper gear. The reason imo is because they have been fishing big feeders on the loop or paternoster,and when the fish bolts it just busts everything with the weight against the feeder.The alternative to me would be to have the feeder on a swivel running up and down the main line with a couple of no 8 pinched together to alter the distance between hook and feeder. Thus if you get the rap off a big barbel or bream for that matter it gives the fish chance to run without taking the weight of the feeder with it. Like i said thats my opinion on areas your likley to catch big fish....

Posted on 12.07.04 at 09:33

Russ

(Collingham A.A) You'll have trouble pinching a no. 8 shot onto 8lb line mate. We use a free running rig, stop by a swivel and bead at the hooklength end and a couple of float stops above.

Very often after catching a barbel these stops can be 10 feet up the line.

Posted on 12.07.04 at 13:05

Phil Stevenson

(Now trying my hand at carpin) Fair comment Russ, but i think i was on the right track though...

Posted on 12.07.04 at 15:49

mickyd

(engineering) Nice one Russ i like that idea atleast it gives you half a chance.

i hope this helps

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve