Line

buc69

Could someone please tell me the ideal breaking strain to use where the carp are reported to be 30lb+ but mainly catching 15-25lb.I have 12lb line on at the moment but need to change line as it is quite old line.Thank You

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 lb line should be fine, especially if it is a tough one such as Daiwa Sensor (there are obviously plenty of other choices, although much more expensive)

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Conditons, rather than weight of fish likely to be encountered are equally important in determining not only the bs but other line qualities also.

If fishing at long distance, then perhaps a low stretch line will give more control.

If there are gravel bars, then a high abrasion resistance is needed (and possibly a thicker, higher bs line that can cope with the likely damage)

If there are large banks of weed, you need something that can drag in a fair weight of weed as well as the weeded fish.

If weed is relatively thin, then perhaps a lower diameter line that will cut through the weed, rather than gathering it up.

etc

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Could someone please tell me the ideal breaking strain to use where the carp are reported to be 30lb+ but mainly catching 15-25lb.I have 12lb line on at the moment but need to change line as it is quite old line.Thank You

If its main line you are talking about why not try a braid...with say a 20-30lb breaking strain. You will feel a lot more fight-wise and it will be safer as long as your drag is tuned.

Please note...im not a carper and there maybe a good reason why this wasnt suggested earlier. :blink:

Guest tigger
Braid isnt that good for carp It floats for one admittedly this can work for you but carp have relativly soft mouths and the lack of stretch can cause damage

I've never had a fish damaged in any way through using braid. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that I've never had it happen to me. I've just started Barbel fishing and have been using a braid hooklength with no probs/ damage to the fish whatsoever.

carp have relativly soft mouths and the lack of stretch can cause damage

Carp from silty ponds have a relatively soft mouth. Carp from rocky ponds really don't.

In either case, I think the lack of stretch and heavier B/S is only a problem if you try to winch the fish in. I use 40 or 50 lb braid for my mainline and hooklength both and as with tigger, I haven't noticed mouth damage with any species I've caught.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Maybe its the snagy rocky rivers i fish a lot but i just can not get on with braid as main line. I find it just gets trashed by the rocks and becomes unreliable. Great as hook lengths though.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Guest tigger
Maybe its the snagy rocky rivers i fish a lot but i just can not get on with braid as main line. I find it just gets trashed by the rocks and becomes unreliable. Great as hook lengths though.

Hello m8, what set up mainline/bottom are you using on the river for your Barbs?

Went down the river last night, I blanked but my m8 got a Barb around 10/ 11 lb in mint nick, fought like a trooper.

I might have a trundle down the bank tomorrow n wet a line.