Line

buc69

Braid isnt that good for carp It floats for one admittedly this can work for you but carp have relativly soft mouths and the lack of stretch can cause damage

Braid doesnt cause damage....anglers using it incorrectly do!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe its the snagy rocky rivers i fish a lot but i just can not get on with braid as main line. I find it just gets trashed by the rocks and becomes unreliable. Great as hook lengths though.

What size braid are you using though?

In my experience braided mainlines when used as hook length material can cause a lot of damage.

What size braid are you using though?

In my experience braided mainlines when used as hook length material can cause a lot of damage.

Never have or would use a mainline braid as hook length and have never see any damage to mouths of the fish i catch.

As for size of braid main line try allsorts over the years up to say 35lb as have the lads i fish with but where all back with mono this days.

Edited by lutra

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Guest tigger
I remember when double figure barbel were big fish. Kids today don't even bother weighing them :rolleyes:

To me there still a big fish. The more the merrier for me.

Okay the braid coment was a little misleading braided mainlines can cause damage when no thought is put into there use FA rods and bullying fish etc especially with fine wire hooks just personally I love braid but only when its use is of benefit and for carp fishing cant really see the point its drawbacks are greater than its advantages plus the strains people would choose when carp fishing would only exacerbate the problems with it

Guest tigger
Okay the braid coment was a little misleading braided mainlines can cause damage when no thought is put into there use FA rods and bullying fish etc especially with fine wire hooks just personally I love braid but only when its use is of benefit and for carp fishing cant really see the point its drawbacks are greater than its advantages plus the strains people would choose when carp fishing would only exacerbate the problems with it

Don't forget you can use a braid for mainline and a gut bottom if your worried about any damage you may cause to the fish.

To be honest I use braid and mono combined most of the time when specimine fishing. For smaller fish I use mono all the time.

I think it's down to your own preference and what works best for you at the end of the day.

Guest Rabbit
I remember when double figure barbel were big fish. Kids today don't even bother weighing them :rolleyes:

Yea I know what you mean, nuisance sub doubles, what a pain in the ________s :headhurt:

Edited by Rabbit

Never have or would use a mainline braid as hook length and have never see any damage to mouths of the fish i catch.

As for size of braid main line try allsorts over the years up to say 35lb as have the lads i fish with but where all back with mono this days.

I asked as I thought the problem could be one I often see.

This is when anglers use braid of the same breaking strain as the mono they would normally use for the same job.If for instance you were to use 6lb mono for feeder fishing then brought 6lb braid you would have a line which had a similar if not lower diameter to 2lb mono! (eg 10lb Spiderwire braidis roughly the same diameter as 2lb mono) If this was the case your abbraision resistance would be very poor indeed.

Reason I know braided mainlines can be a problem is because I learned the hard way nearly 18 years or so ago using them for carp.I cut 1 breams mouth to pieces and 1 carp....that was enough for me.Most (note most as some are bad) specific hook length material braids are no problem though.

Edited by BUDGIE

Could someone please tell me the ideal breaking strain to use where the carp are reported to be 30lb+ but mainly catching 15-25lb.I have 12lb line on at the moment but need to change line as it is quite old line.Thank You

No i think is the answer. 8-18lb line is roughly that i would say for that size of carp but you need to give us a bit more information like range, rods, snags, how you are fishing, that the fish fight like on that water and so on.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep