Line

buc69

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No i think is the answer. 8-18lb line is roughly that i would say for that size of carp but you need to give us a bit more information like range, rods, snags, how you are fishing, that the fish fight like on that water and so on.

What about a twisted leader of about a yard before the rig? That would absorb any impact to the fish and provide added protection via its length against any fraying of the fish when braid strikes the body of a fish?

Paradise is exactly like where you are right now, only much, much better!

Guest tigger
In my experience braided mainlines when used as hook length material can cause a lot of damage.

I can say in all honesty I havn't had a prob using braid as a hook lenght. In fact I've just got home after catching a corkin Barbel using 20lb Fox Graviton as a hooklength, size 6 nash fang hook, hair rigged on a bolt rig, the fish was hooked perfect in the side of its mouth and there wasn't the slightest mark noticeable with your eye. The fish was nearly 13 lb and put an unbeleivable scrap up ( a good ten miuinites or over to land) so you would think if braid was gonna do some damage to a fish then on this occasion it would have.

Budgie I'm not saying it can't do any damage to a fish as obviously in your case it has, so I don't know the answer, all I know is I haven't had an probs with it. If I ever saw any damage caused by using it myself then I simply wouldn't use it again.

I've gone up to 18lb on my bait rods for piking as the rivers are very, very snaggy.

50-80lb Powerpro on my lure rods.

Most 18lb braids I know will only have a diameter similar to 6lb mono.

How about considering using 50lb+ on your bait rods as well? (most have a diameter of .32mm-.35mm,same as the 12-15lb mono normally used).I say this as there is far more chance of snagging/abrassion problems with bait rigs than lures and a lost bait is far far more dangerous to a pike than a lost lure that only hurts the anglers pocket!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I can say in all honesty I havn't had a prob using braid as a hook lenght.

Budgie I'm not saying it can't do any damage to a fish as obviously in your case it has, so I don't know the answer, all I know is I haven't had an probs with it. If I ever saw any damage caused by using it myself then I simply wouldn't use it again.

Tigger,I suppose Ive been guilty of making a bit of a generalisation here! My point (more acurately) is that you need to be aware that some braided mainlines will damage fish if used as hook lengths.The problem really surfaces when you try (as I did) to use an ultra low diameter but high BS braid.You can still put maximum pressure on the fish (due to the high BS) but its ultra thin diameter (as opposed to equivelant BS mono) can cut (cheese wire style) through flesh.This of course can only happen if the hook is inside the mouth and the hook length running over the lips.

Most 18lb braids I know will only have a diameter similar to 6lb mono.

How about considering using 50lb+ on your bait rods as well? (most have a diameter of .32mm-.35mm,same as the 12-15lb mono normally used).I say this as there is far more chance of snagging/abrassion problems with bait rigs than lures and a lost bait is far far more dangerous to a pike than a lost lure that only hurts the anglers pocket!

I'm using 18lb mono on my bait rods mate but am thinking about loading one reel with 50lbs braid which has the same dia. as 12llb mono for some bait fishing...the only thing that concerns me is the abrasion issue.

Guest tigger
Tigger,I suppose Ive been guilty of making a bit of a generalisation here! My point (more acurately) is that you need to be aware that some braided mainlines will damage fish if used as hook lengths.The problem really surfaces when you try (as I did) to use an ultra low diameter but high BS braid.You can still put maximum pressure on the fish (due to the high BS) but its ultra thin diameter (as opposed to equivelant BS mono) can cut (cheese wire style) through flesh.This of course can only happen if the hook is inside the mouth and the hook length running over the lips.

Yeah You can imagin having a big fish on and ultra thin braid could possably cut into the fish if it were hooked inside the mouth. As you say probably better to just steer clear of the very thin braid as hook lengths just to be on the safe side.

I'm using 18lb mono on my bait rods mate but am thinking about loading one reel with 50lbs braid which has the same dia. as 12llb mono for some bait fishing...the only thing that concerns me is the abrasion issue.

On the braid or the mono?

if your using 50lb braid it should be ok 18lb mono will tackle anything though

But will a direct pull with 18lb mono straigten the hooks you use for baitfishing? If yes then no problem but if no think again!

Shouldnt have a problem with 50lb braid which has a 12lb mono diameter (usually around .32mm) Its using 12lb braid with a 2lb mono diameter that causes issues with abbraission.