Trotting adventures - at last success!

jaypeegolf

Having enviously read Tigger's posts about his trotting expliots and the fantastic results he yields I have been desperate to try and create my own success.

Fishing the Warwickshire Avon I have be trying to catch a barbel whilst trotting with my centrepin.

Last Thursday, I nearly succeeded but unfortunately my rod snapped! I returned on Friday evening, armed to the teeth, and finally prevailed. it was a struggle in a fast paced swim, on a 'stepped up' float rod, with 6lb line, but I managed to land a beautiful fish of 5lb 130z. My arm was still shaking when I got to the pub an hour or so later.

There were also some great chunky chub to round off a brilliant 2 hours fishing.

Hopefully there's many more where that came from.

post-13558-0-48824200-1440423595_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks Chris,

It's been a long slog for me on the Warks Avon for me, an impatient angler. I didn't know whether or not I'd ever manage to find a barbel of any size on my float set up, not having the patience to sit behind a tip for one! But, at last, with some bankside vegetion dissapearing I've manage to 'find' a new swim. Lovely it is too!

Thursday evening I turned up with the wrong rod, a standard 13' Shakespeare Match rod, which when I hooked into a barbel was clearly undergunned. Hence the breakage just above the middle joint. Friday I brought my stepped up Harrison float rod which proved to be the one! Fish in net! Back for some more later in the week when the rain may have spiced things up a bit too.

Hope you're well and catching on the Kennet.

John

post-13558-0-43184000-1440425778_thumb.jpg

Edited by jaypeegolf

Nice fish, well done.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Well as Matthew said - nothing barbel wise - loads of good dace and a chub of 5lb 13oz who's acquaintance I'd like to meet again in March.

Hope you're well and catching on the Kennet.

John

C.

ps Nice pic/avatar ;)

Edited by Chris Plumb

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Well done John, shame about your broken rod.

Your Harrison rod seems a lot more suitable for handling Beards.

I used to watch the now deceased Keith Spears catching Barbel on a standard float rod but he was a brilliant angler, us lesser mortals have to revert to slightly stronger tackle LOL.

It's a great shame about the river Kennet, I used to fish it back in the 70s at Theale, Newbury and Thatcham, when it was a fabulous river full of streamer weed and gravel beds and full of Barbel.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 2

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

• 2 weeks later...