fly identification

spug103

Hi all

just want to pick your brains again, im sorry for being stupid but ive taken a picture of a fly i borrowed and used yesterday, i caught 5 trout with it (on my second time out, not catching any the first time) hence i need to get me one of these little beuties, its obviously very old as the white tail and wing(?) are rust stained from the hook.

i want to start a fishing log so this would be usefull.

cheers

spug

post-12513-1185734737_thumb.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all

just want to pick your brains again, im sorry for being stupid but ive taken a picture of a fly i borrowed and used yesterday, i caught 5 trout with it (on my second time out, not catching any the first time) hence i need to get me one of these little beuties, its obviously very old as the white tail and wing(?) are rust stained from the hook.

i want to start a fishing log so this would be usefull.

cheers

spug

Mmmmmm,looks like a type of cats whisker varient .Looks as though that one has a red chenille body and white wing and tail.

A good fish catcher in its various forms and colours :thumbs:

Thanks chuby

just looked at a previous thread, "where to buy flies" and looked on the selectafly website, clicked on the mini cats whisker heading and there she was in all her glory, i shall certainly have to get some of them,

thanks again

spug

Here's another one - can't find this little beggar anywhere but it's been a life saver for me on a few hard days.

Appears to be tied from white raffia or even poly string & then coated with clear varnish to make it very hard.

Cheers

Barry

post-2467-1185783006_thumb.jpg post-2467-1185783027_thumb.jpg

Barry

Here's another one - can't find this little beggar anywhere but it's been a life saver for me on a few hard days.

Appears to be tied from white raffia or even poly string & then coated with clear varnish to make it very hard.

Cheers

Barry

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :unsure: ,looks like a home tied jobby that one.Get started on tying your own and reproduce it :thumbs:

Its adictive though :rolleyes:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :unsure: ,looks like a home tied jobby that one.Get started on tying your own and reproduce it :thumbs:

Its adictive though :rolleyes:

Spug

are you spug over on CFForums???????????????????????????????? :clap2:

Spug

are you spug over on CFForums???????????????????????????????? :clap2:

yes i am

incidently ive just found someone who reproduces the fly ive got as a long shanked orange and white cats whisker!

chuby you are the man!

cheers

spug

Cheers

Barry

Barry

It looks like a variant of that old Dick Walker fl,y the Polystickle, tied to imitate stickle backs or other small fry.

here is the original dressing

Polystickle

Dressing:

Hook - long shank size 6 to 8

Thread - black

Body - Front quarter, crimson floss, remainder clear polythene or comparable material (flexibody).

Back and tail - brown raffene

Hackle - beard style in hot orange

Fish this fly just under the surface with a jerky (injured fish) retrieve. It appears very similar to the natural and is very effective during those periods of low insect activity.

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Thanks for the replies guys, looks like I'm gonna have to tie some myself................

Looks like a little lead wire on the shank, covered with black thread, tie in a V of raffia for the tail & then build up the body with polythene.

Seems simple enough but I'll bet good money that it won't work as well as the original..........

Cheers

Barry

Barry

I wouldn't get too bogged down with exact styles or patterns of fly. If it looks a bit like food, something will probably take it. (Not sure what food a cats whisker looks like though :rolleyes: )

I find it is more important to get the presentation right, depth, speed and style of retrieve etc.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/