fly identification

spug103

I wouldn't get too bogged down with exact styles or patterns of fly. If it looks a bit like food, something will probably take it. (Not sure what food a cats whisker looks like though :rolleyes: )

I find it is more important to get the presentation right, depth, speed and style of retrieve etc.

Dead right sportsman.

When i started tying my own,i was /still am untidy lets say-ie not perfect tyings.I mentioned this to someone on one of the forums at the time.The reply was,if i buy any shop tied flies,i usually throw em on the floor put the boot down and rough em up a bit before using them.:D :D

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

scruffy works for me to, all flies catch best once they've been chewed a bit.

Half the fun of fly fishing is 'rolling your own', some of us are even known to take a mini tying kit bankside to rattle off a flying ant, tups or or sawer bug while the fish rise.

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

scruffy works for me to, all flies catch best once they've been chewed a bit.

Half the fun of fly fishing is 'rolling your own', some of us are even known to take a mini tying kit bankside to rattle off a flying ant, tups or or sawer bug while the fish rise.

I used to know an old geezer who nearly always fished this way. Every time he went fishing he would catch what was hatching then make a cast based on what he caught.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Hi all

just want to pick your brains again, im sorry for being stupid but ive taken a picture of a fly i borrowed and used yesterday, i caught 5 trout with it (on my second time out, not catching any the first time) hence i need to get me one of these little beuties, its obviously very old as the white tail and wing(?) are rust stained from the hook.

i want to start a fishing log so this would be usefull.

cheers

spug

Thats the nastiest looking Dognobbler Ive ever seen :clap2:

The other one looks a bit like a PTN but made out of clear mono I bet that would fish well on the piont under a team of Buzzers,,Tony I think the poly stickle has a Hackle tyed in on a long shanked Hook

Edited by five bellies

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Thats the nastiest looking Dognobbler Ive ever seen :clap2:

The other one looks a bit like a PTN but made out of clear mono I bet that would fish well on the piont under a team of Buzzers,,Tony I think the poly stickle has a Hackle tyed in on a long shanked Hook

It has; but it also has the clear polythene body and rafia back, I used to tie mine both with and without the hackle and usually on standard hooks. I have not tied lures or nymphs on big long shanks since the mid 1990's, mind you most of my fly tying these days, is for saltwater patterns.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I find it is more important to get the presentation right, depth, speed and style of retrieve etc.

So, so true.

When you catch a good 'un, people always ask "Wot fly?" and ask about NONE of the things you mention above.

It is a bit of an insult really - they assume you are as ignorant as they, but just have (by chance) hit the jackpot by choosing a fly at random.

A good answer is to show them the fly and say you don't know what its called. :rolleyes: that really winds them up.

...and then change the fly and catch again :rolleyes:

...and as a corollary, if you use a marrow spoon, you can "match the hatch" by choosing what in your box looks nearest to the stomach contents of the fish you have caught. That way, you need not know the scientific name of the natural, nor the fancy name of the artificial.

OK. so you need an educated guess as to what fly to start with, and when you catch, you may prefer to persist with a fly that has just worked rather than go messing about with trout stomach contents.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

So, so true.

When you catch a good 'un, people always ask "Wot fly?" and ask about NONE of the things you mention above.

It is a bit of an insult really - they assume you are as ignorant as they, but just have (by chance) hit the jackpot by choosing a fly at random.

A good answer is to show them the fly and say you don't know what its called. :rolleyes: that really winds them up.

...and then change the fly and catch again :rolleyes:

...and as a corollary, if you use a marrow spoon, you can "match the hatch" by choosing what in your box looks nearest to the stomach contents of the fish you have caught. That way, you need not know the scientific name of the natural, nor the fancy name of the artificial.

OK. so you need an educated guess as to what fly to start with, and when you catch, you may prefer to persist with a fly that has just worked rather than go messing about with trout stomach contents.

Spooning any thing other than a overwinterd fish or a wildy tends to turn up Fag butts, small twigs, tiny pebbles,and minute imposible too match buzzer shucks all wrapped up in a ample film of snott..................Not dissimmilar to my fly box realy :yucky: . I think there is a bit of sence in fishing a damsel if people around you doing so and catching !

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

• 2 weeks later...

ive noticed several thing since ive started fly fishing,

all the blokes catching the monster sized fish on our fishery use tiny black flies of varying types, and some of them dont seem to cast alot better than myself, i tend to consistantly catch 2lb'ers on a red cats whisker and nothing on the black things, so im assuming alot of my problem is not setting the depth right on the leader length?

cheers

spug

ive noticed several thing since ive started fly fishing,

all the blokes catching the monster sized fish on our fishery use tiny black flies of varying types, and some of them dont seem to cast alot better than myself, i tend to consistantly catch 2lb'ers on a red cats whisker and nothing on the black things, so im assuming alot of my problem is not setting the depth right on the leader length?

cheers

spug

Those tiny black black flies are proberly Nymphs or buzzers fished staticly or with a imperceptable retrive not catching with them is a frame of mind most of the time you dont think not a thing will happen unless you are stipping a lure through the water at 20 knots so it dosn't

انا آكل كل الفطائر

all the blokes catching the monster sized fish on our fishery use tiny black flies of varying types, and some of them dont seem to cast alot better than myself,

They may not be TRYING to cast very far, but could be making very good casts indeed !

Two things about casting - One, most people try to cast too far. Two, in trying to do that, the number of false casts becomes ridiculous, and flash from the rod, and a line continually flourished above the water, spooks any decent trout in the immediate vicinity.

Quiet entry and accuracy, not distance, will bring more fish in the long run. However, if everyone else is spooking fish into the middle distance, you may have no option but long casting. Finding a quiet corner, or arriving as soon as the fishery opens will help.

i tend to consistantly catch 2lb'ers on a red cats whisker and nothing on the black things, so im assuming alot of my problem is not setting the depth right on the leader length?

If you have the opportunity of fishing very clear water, you can see what happens. The big fish (especially browns) ignore Cat's Whiskers whizzing by horizontally at speed. Cast a small nymph close to those same fish, and they may snap at it on the drop. If they dont, they will sometimes respond to a VERY slow retrieve as Fivebellies says - even stop retrieving for several seconds - and when near the bank, lift it slowly, some fish can't resist a nymph or buzzer ascending vertically.

Thers no point in putting on a nymph and fishing it like a lure.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...