Newbie back sorry, pellets?

JINJER

Right lads I'm back with more (for you people obvious questions) info, I was fishing my local pond, Birkwood in Altofts, I had a pretty poor time, around half a dozen small roach, nothing of any weight, the guy next door to me was pulling out good sized Carp. I had a nose as to the depth he was fishing, size float etc and all seemed similar to mine. The only difference was bait, he was telling a guy that he used pellets, now I've googled pellets and as per everything else for a newbie there appear to be lots. I'm into pleasure fishing but also want to catch, can someone recommend the best pellets? Are they like grain? Do you have to put a hook through every individual pellet?

I know the answer is gonna be obvious to the majority of you but it's difficult for us newbies!?

Pleasure fishing - always more of a pleasure when you are catching. Using pellets - I've been fishing for over 60 years and know less about it than you do so not a silly question and chances are that at least a dozen people who had the same question simply didn't ask for fear of seeming a newby.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

This is what he meant ----> http://www.chapmansangling.co.uk/pellets_839.html

Various flavours and sizes available at your local tackle shop :) Use pellet bands to attach to attach them to the hook, or hair-rig them. Don't try to hook them direct, you will fail (everyone tries).

Trout pellets seem to be popular in a few lakes I fish....

Tight lines :)

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Cheers John S, you lost me really quick there, I tend to put a hook through most baits! Hair rigs? Pellet bands, can you talk a little slower please mate?

Pellets are like boilies ,the chap dragging the fish in next door is using the flavour you dont have

I have never used them but to balance it few of the "yoofs" on here have used the baits the older generation on here have used either

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Cheers John S, you lost me really quick there, I tend to put a hook through most baits! Hair rigs? Pellet bands, can you talk a little slower please mate?

A hair rig is typically tied using a 'Knotless Knot' (Google the term for videos on YouTube showing how to tie the knot ... relatively speaking its quite an easy knot to tie and instructions should appear simple to follow). This particular knot is designed to leave a short length of line - the 'hair' running from the eye of the hook down the back of the hook shank to some point past the bend of the hook.

This ''hair' typically ends in a very small loop (tied there before the knotless knot is tied). This loop is then pulled through an appropriate bait by using a long slim needle with a slight hook to the end; needle goes through bait, catches loop and can then pull it back through the bait where it can be secured with some form of bait stop ... again, Google 'bait stops' and you will be presented with hundreds of different options, 99.9% of which you will likely never need :-)

An alternative to the small lop at the end of the hair is to tie on a pellet band (Google again!) ... like a tiny rubber band, which is stretched around the pellet, holding it in place on the hair ... in all such cases, the hook is left bare, with whatever bait you are using being attached to the hair.

As Phil says or as an alternative to not use hair rigs etc.

method one buy normal pellets for feed and use soft hooker pellets ( brought ) on the hook you do need to use a reasonable size hook though say a 10 or 12.

method 2 Feed normal pellets , get a potato, slice about 6mm thick and use a small meat punch to produce pellet size pieces of potato , then colour with coffee grounds to match the colour of the pellets , you can even add flavouring if you prepare them before hand.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

Just an afterthought about pellet bands which may be less mess-on for you? There is a type available with a small tag through which you push the hook - pellet then goes into the band. Greys do them - probably others out there too.

All sounds a little complicated to me Think Terry T shirt might be the winner, seems much simpler for a newbie like me.

Easiest option is buy some hook pellet. Any tackle shop with have some sort. Come in 4, 6 and 8mm mainly. A whole range of flavours or some shops elect to sell natural ones and you can buy liquid flavours for them.

6mm hooks ok into a size 14 minimum. Brands differ but most of them are pretty good at staying on the hook and coping with nibbles from small silvers.