Autumn/Winter Fishing

Alan D

Guest tigger
Yep it is missing some spots.

Its a salmon.

Well done Brian did you get it on your pin or where you ledgering ?

Crackin fish m8!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm glad that you said that! and thinks, 'hooray it's not just me then'!. At this time of year I hear people getting gleeful at the prospect of a 'pikefest', while I am thinking, only a few more weeks and I will be putting away the pike gear until spring. I find it ok at this time of year, but find December, January and February awful, my diaries show only one decent day during those months, 3 pike to lures in a mild late February. It's not for want of trying either, I have put the hours in, tried all the methods I know, fished deep water, shallow bays, bank and boat. They just seem to evaporate on the waters I fish until it warms up again.

It's not too bad now but I find when you get into December & January the fish are few and far between....the fishing is slow and I end up longing for spring and summer and days lure fishing.

I have however got a a couple of days at Chew this year which seems to fish into November well so fingers crossed

Edited by Neil G

Bit tricky for me to answer this. If I could only get out one day a week thro the winter, then I might well blank every time, but being able to fish every weekday I do manage to get quite a lot of fish in the winter. Carp and Pike mostly, but I will be having a go at the Roach and Rudd a few times.

Monday I blanked,

Nice warm SWesterly today, 5 banked (up to 27) and 2 lost, and it is Autumn here, the trees on the chalk downs are all turning copper and gold.

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Can be a bit tricky though Neil, the lake was empty (12acres) so I had to make my own choice of swim :) much easier when most swims are already taken :)

I shall be up and out at 5AM tomorrow to try and get the same spot again..............lifes a bitch ennit?

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

the new season starts with an explosive surface lure orientated June (frog for me) - the most exciting pike fishing (or any UK fishing) period there is.

MC

I'm glad that you have put it that way, that's how it is for me too, and thought that perhaps even after all these years I was doing something drastically wrong. I have winter fished, caught really big bags of roach and bream in German lakes in way below zero temperatures, we even used to have 'ice matches' with purpose built short rods, and drills to make our holes, but UK winters have been a dead loss. What pike success I have had has been disappinting, reeling in what appeared to be party comotose fish. Perch numbers seem to fall away like the leaves in both size and numbers.

All but one of my 2lb plus perch have come in june, my PB pike came in that month (28th a few years ago) the lake and the rivers pulse with life, the sea trout run, the big mayfly hatches, despite their name come in june, when they were plentiful it was 'the' time for hot summer nights on Eels, and perhaps most significantly Admittedly more hours are put in in summer, especially those wonderful evenings when 7pm can herald the start of a four hour session.

The crisp bracing frost edged winters day sounds wonderful, if something of a myth. I remember one a few winters ago. I could see the lake, but was gathering holly for yule not fishing. I don't remember a day like it since, I do remember lots of rain and winds which drive one to the hearth. Perhaps it has always felt more in tune with the season to have a gun rather than a rod to hamd in the cold months.

My son and I talked about this the other day, we vowed to give the winter a good go, however unless we manage to do better it will be my last.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

'Lutra',

Please be assured that I don't deny you taking home the Grilse you caught, it's something which I have done often, and although I wouldn't now, in no way would I assume to pass judgement. Well done, it must have been an unexpected thrill.

However your post has been on a few hours now, and I have looked in a couple of times to see if those who were so ready to criticise me for admitting to killing a few Perch would jump in to decry your killing. Is it perhaps that the point about hypocracy has been driven home? or are we still working on Salmon= 'dinner' so its ok the kill 'em, what would the reaction have been had you returned the Grilse and took the Barbel home to eat because your partial to 'em?

I realise that I am making assumptions here, in that it is dead, it looks it from the background and the baler twine in its jaw.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

it must have been an unexpected thrill.

Why? I was fishing for it.

baler twine in its jaw.

Ribble salmon tag

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder and I'm not sure why you are aiming this at me, I don't recall passing comment on you eating perch.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Can be a bit tricky though Neil, the lake was empty (12acres) so I had to make my own choice of swim :) much easier when most swims are already taken :)

I shall be up and out at 5AM tomorrow to try and get the same spot again..............lifes a bitch ennit?

Den

Gutted, it's a hard life!

I'm anticipating a blank on the river on Saturday morning but loooking forward to going anyway!

I'm hoping now it's 'predator season' (October 1st) the pike should all know this and start playing ball lol