Autumn/Winter Fishing

Alan D

Lutra,

I thought that I had been very careful to point out that I do NOT have the slightest issue with your taking the grilse, please read my introduction again,

Please be assured that I don't deny you taking home the Grilse you caught, it's something which I have done often, and although I wouldn't now, in no way would I assume to pass judgement. Well done,

I am sorry if you interpret that as 'aiming' anything negative at you. Quite the contrary, I was using your fish as an example of how it's seen as ok to take a salminoid home but those of us who eat some coarse fish come under all kinds of fire in places like this. If I do have a chip on the shoulder, it's one placed there for the 'holier-than-thou' types, and I am aware that you were not one of those.

I am happy to stand corrected, in that you were in fact salmon fishing and that you used a purpose made item to carry it.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I look forward to Oct 1st almost as much as 16th June. Autumn/winter is the time to get on the rivers. I will hardly ever fish a still water after 1st Nov. All coarse species are in their prime around now - having recovered from spawning and with fewer anglers on the bank face a bit less pressure. You do sometimes have to let conditions dictate where you go and what you fish for. For example a period of iron hard frosts would see me target grayling or chub and give the perch on the canal a miss until it was milder. A high flooded river might see me target chub/barbel with a big smelly bait in a slack - or head for a chalk stream less prone to flooding. My favourite style of fishing (trotting) suits winter fishing. Travel light - just a net and rod - with pockets stuffed with any tackle and a bait smock full of maggots and you can cover a lot of water and search out the fish. In winter fish can shoal up quite tightly - there may be 100's of metres of river with few if any fish and then suddenly you'll find a pool/feature/whatever stuffed with them!

C.

My opinions exactly. Get on the rivers, let the conditions make your decisions and you'll do OK. If you continue to fish the same places in the same way as summer, you will struggle when the temperatures drop.

Another important point is that I very rarely have a whole day's fishing in the winter. For a lot of the time, there's nothing you can do to buy a bite, so unless you want to be outside anyway, I'd choose your hours carefully. The few hours either side of dawn and dusk are consistent - dawn for pike and perch, dusk and into darkness for perch, chub and roach. If it's a lovely mild day with rising temperatures then the whole day is worth it :)

Regarding pike, I will readily admit that they're a damn sight easier to catch in Spring-Autumn, but for me it just doesn't 'feel' right going piking until the leaves are golden and falling and the air takes on its winter chill. There are a whole lot more species better suited to summer fishing than pike, I enjoy the tradition of cold weather pike fishing.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Lutra,

I thought that I had been very careful to point out that I do NOT have the slightest issue with your taking the grilse, please read my introduction again,

Please be assured that I don't deny you taking home the Grilse you caught, it's something which I have done often, and although I wouldn't now, in no way would I assume to pass judgement. Well done,

Never thought you did Emma.

I am sorry if you interpret that as 'aiming' anything negative at you. Quite the contrary, I was using your fish as an example of how it's seen as ok to take a salminoid home but those of us who eat some coarse fish come under all kinds of fire in places like this. If I do have a chip on the shoulder, it's one placed there for the 'holier-than-thou' types, and I am aware that you were not one of those.

I just think in some cases its a waste off time to keep going over old ground as you are unlikely to change some peoples ('holier-than-thou' types,) views, never mind get them to admit it. I also suspect that there are some little rodents that are just looking for a reaction more than have any valid points.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Guest Rabbit
Never thought you did Emma.

I just think in some cases its a waste off time to keep going over old ground as you are unlikely to change some peoples ('holier-than-thou' types,) views, never mind get them to admit it. I also suspect that there are some little rodents that are just looking for a reaction more than have any valid points.

So a dig about eating perch was not ''Holier than thou'' is it?

I caught a Grilse too on worm recently, from the River Teme. put it back.... alive, no nasty taste in the mouth either, as I didn't eat it :hypocrite:

There you go....something to get your trebles into :D

So a dig about eating perch was not ''Holier than thou'' is it?

I caught a Grilse too on worm recently, from the River Teme. put it back.... alive, no nasty taste in the mouth either, as I didn't eat it :hypocrite:

There you go....something to get your trebles into :D

Well done, its just a shame their not as easy to get a rise from as rabbits.

Guest Rabbit
Well done, its just a shame their not as easy to get a rise from as rabbits.

RISE? :D Not at all, I am completely chill with a 12lb barbel this week....didn't take that home either :D

RISE? :D Not at all, I am completely chill with a 12lb barbel this week....didn't take that home either :D

Well done again, and welcome to the 12lb club.

post-10964-1223464676_thumb.jpg

A club I'm hoping to get out of this winter, as thats when i target barbel these days.

I could catch one of them... :lol: ...only kidding, that's a cracker.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...