14-17 Sept Eastern Meet

Mark Crame

14-17 Sept Eastern Meet

Okay, another try. As the tope are no longer being chased in Wales it’s time to organise an Autumn Broads meet. This is an open invite.

The intention is to take a caravan at Oulton Broad:

http://www.broadlandvillage.co.uk/

This would cost £30.25 for the weekend per person, and we’d have it Friday, Saturday and Sunday night, based on six people sharing. Greater or lesser numbers wanting to come will obviously affect this price but around a tenner a night ain’t bad!

The site itself features a gym, sauna and (nice) pool, launderette and beauty salon (I always have a manicure after a session you know) and has been rated as Excellent for facilities by the tourist board. The caravans have duvets (but no towels), cooker, fridge, microwave, gas fire, TV, electric heaters, toilet and shower. There is also an onsite bar and restaurant.

The site has a marina so we can again launch direct from here and is also close to pubs and food places etc. The Broad goes straight onto the Waveney and also, via a short portage, into Lake Lothing, a saltwater harbour estuary (record mullet taken from here) and thence through to the sea via Lowestoft Harbour (2 miles). This broad is where I do most of my piking and also holds other coarse fish such as bream, perch, roach, rudd and eels. Obviously you’ll need a coarse licence for the freshwater fishing, or if you prefer to go to sea then it’s a short car ride down to the beach and you can launch easily pretty much anywhere.

Walking distance can see you ok for Chinese and Indian takeaways, Indian and gourmet restaurants, chandlers, fish and chips, mini supermarket and pubs. Alternatively the train is nearby and can have you in Lowestoft quickly for further choice. Bait can be got from here as well so no problem on that front.

There are other broads and rivers in easy car range too, as well as other beach sites so there is something for everyone and with a bit of luck September will be mild, and the fish on the feed.

Oh, and for a bit of fun we can also have a competition each day - say a species hunt, largest fish and most fish.

Please pm me if you wish to attend.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

• 1 month later...
14-17 Sept Eastern Meet

Okay, another try. As the tope are no longer being chased in Wales it’s time to organise an Autumn Broads meet. This is an open invite.

The intention is to take a caravan at Oulton Broad:

http://www.broadlandvillage.co.uk/

This would cost £30.25 for the weekend per person, and we’d have it Friday, Saturday and Sunday night, based on six people sharing. Greater or lesser numbers wanting to come will obviously affect this price but around a tenner a night ain’t bad!

The site itself features a gym, sauna and (nice) pool, launderette and beauty salon (I always have a manicure after a session you know) and has been rated as Excellent for facilities by the tourist board. The caravans have duvets (but no towels), cooker, fridge, microwave, gas fire, TV, electric heaters, toilet and shower. There is also an onsite bar and restaurant.

The site has a marina so we can again launch direct from here and is also close to pubs and food places etc. The Broad goes straight onto the Waveney and also, via a short portage, into Lake Lothing, a saltwater harbour estuary (record mullet taken from here) and thence through to the sea via Lowestoft Harbour (2 miles). This broad is where I do most of my piking and also holds other coarse fish such as bream, perch, roach, rudd and eels. Obviously you’ll need a coarse licence for the freshwater fishing, or if you prefer to go to sea then it’s a short car ride down to the beach and you can launch easily pretty much anywhere.

Walking distance can see you ok for Chinese and Indian takeaways, Indian and gourmet restaurants, chandlers, fish and chips, mini supermarket and pubs. Alternatively the train is nearby and can have you in Lowestoft quickly for further choice. Bait can be got from here as well so no problem on that front.

There are other broads and rivers in easy car range too, as well as other beach sites so there is something for everyone and with a bit of luck September will be mild, and the fish on the feed.

Oh, and for a bit of fun we can also have a competition each day - say a species hunt, largest fish and most fish.

Please pm me if you wish to attend.

hi mark is this meet still happening i have never freshwater fished before but would love to catch a pike im sure i must have some saltwater gear suitable for the job cheers lawrie

Hello Lawrie, yes it is BUT the date is now changed to 12-15 October.

First up, you will need a freshwater fishing licence - http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/subje...n=1&lang=_e

Accomodation, subject to enough bods, is £28.60. Cheque in advance to me please, but payable to the site. My address is 35 Grosvenor Road, Lowestoft, Suffolk NR330BW. If there aren't enough, or too many bods the price will vary slightly but it won't be much different.

Bring the gear you have and I'll help out with what I can if it's not right. You'll need some lures though, have you got any? Additionally you will require needlenose pliers, sidecutters and a camera! That's the bare minimum for piking.

Ocean Kayak have kindly offered to have the demo fleet there for us to play with, thanks Andrew.

Venues that don't involve the car are Oulton Broad and the Waveney, Lake Lothing (mullet record) and out through Lowestoft harbour to Lowestoft, Pakefield, Kessingland or north to Corton etc. With the car you can avoid the paddle to and exit from the harbour and do same again and perhaps Southwold/Aldeburgh/Orford or there are more rivers and broads open to you.

I have no idea as to which species are available in the local patch of sea in October and am not convinced there are any fish in the sea anyway from my experience!! Pike should be on the feed nicely by then though and other coarse fish are available. I can preorder bait and collect for everyone.

It should be good!

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

Hello Lawrie, yes it is BUT the date is now changed to 12-15 October.

First up, you will need a freshwater fishing licence - http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/subje...n=1&lang=_e

Accomodation, subject to enough bods, is £28.60. Cheque in advance to me please, but payable to the site. My address is 35 Grosvenor Road, Lowestoft, Suffolk NR330BW. If there aren't enough, or too many bods the price will vary slightly but it won't be much different.

Bring the gear you have and I'll help out with what I can if it's not right. You'll need some lures though, have you got any? Additionally you will require needlenose pliers, sidecutters and a camera! That's the bare minimum for piking.

Ocean Kayak have kindly offered to have the demo fleet there for us to play with, thanks Andrew.

Venues that don't involve the car are Oulton Broad and the Waveney, Lake Lothing (mullet record) and out through Lowestoft harbour to Lowestoft, Pakefield, Kessingland or north to Corton etc. With the car you can avoid the paddle to and exit from the harbour and do same again and perhaps Southwold/Aldeburgh/Orford or there are more rivers and broads open to you.

I have no idea as to which species are available in the local patch of sea in October and am not convinced there are any fish in the sea anyway from my experience!! Pike should be on the feed nicely by then though and other coarse fish are available. I can preorder bait and collect for everyone.

It should be good!

thanks for reply got lures pliers and camera (very good condition due to lack of fish in sea were i live) unfortunately new date is on the missis birthday