Fishing off the shore at Clonakilty, Co Cork

Anderoo

I'm off to Clonakilty, Co Cork for a break next week. I'm going to take a sturdy telescopic rod and old reel with 15lb line. How do I catch something?

The coast is a mixture of mudflats which are exposed at low tide and rough, rocky and sandy beaches. So, perhaps, flatties on the mudflats and bass or pollock off the rocks?

What bait should I use?

How far out should I cast?

What part of the tide is best?

Etc!

Many thanks for any help (sea fishing newbie!)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

fish it over low water.

lugworm and peeler crab are the best baits.

i would use hooks size 1 to 2/0 long shank.

grip leads would be helpful.

expect to catch bass and flounders. if very lucky you may get a gilthead bream.

there are two channels you can fish either of them will produce fish as does the beach if the weather is right.

guarantee

you'll get lots of weed. the estuaries over there are full of it after a wet summer.

Cheers folks :thumbs:

By low water do you mean when the tide is just coming in, or just going out?

Also, when the tide is out in the estuary (mud flats) bit, you can see there's a deeper channel where the tide runs out - would that be the best place to fish?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Good stuff, thanks for the advice. It's a shame I live so far from the sea, I know I'd do loads of sea fishing if I lived closer.