Centre pin reels

Hackney2819

If I was after a good cheap'ish centrepin then i'd go for the Aventa pro same as Keith has recommended. I don't mind the ratchet buttons on them. I'm not a fan of the ratchet lever even though I do have reels with them.

My favourite ratchet button is the one you got on the old allcock aerial reels, the greys bewick has the same type of button that simply slides up or down.

Edited by Tigger
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Dunno if you'll see this in time, but there is an Adcock Stanton just appeared on Ebay with a Buy-it-Now of just £50! ... It's a steal at that price, and a very highly respected reel, being around £300 for the new model.

Wonder if these are any good?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-Ron-Thompson-CENTER-PIN-Reel-Fishing-Centerpin-/311213121686?hash=item4875bf6096:g:MxsAAOSwQJhUisK7

Ron Thompson, in my experience, don't do bad tackle so it could be worth a punt.

It got good reviews and cheaper here,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thompson-Centre-110mm-Diameter-Reel/dp/B00R35ELNC

Cheaper still, but some​ confusion as to it's purpose, :lol:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RON-THOMPSON-DIE-CAST-CENTRE-PIN-REEL-FOR-GAME-FLY-ROD-FISHING-TROUT-SALMON-PIKE-/191477249012

John.​

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Some good advice on here, from my brief experience with centrepins this is what I've encountered (given your price range):

Speedias - good but there are a lot out there that have wobble, so confirm before you buy. A bit of paint loss is nothing to worry about. People rave about the wide drum versions with different ratchet settings, but I find the humble narrow drum often to show less wobble and great for float work.

Adcock Stantons - have been my workhorse for many years, I find the 4.5" to be more friendly than the 5" as they are quite weighty but more as a result of them being incredibly well built. They aren't pins in the truest sense as they run on bearings. Haven't used one of the new types, all mine are from the Clive Adcock (?) era. I prefer handles and ratchet, but you get them in many different configurations (without handles, no ratchet, centre drag etc.)

Swallow Centre-Pin - didn't really get on with these reels, I got mine partly because of a nod to 'A Passion for Angling' as they feature quite heavily. The ones with brass parts as opposed to plastic look better and will probably carry more value as they are more durable.

Allcock Match Aerial - I think are nice reels, but outside your price range. However, Fred Crouch did some replicas (may still do) which may be more within reach on the second hand market, but I think the original has curved edges which makes handling nicer. Look for one where the reel seat is not loose.

Have fun, once you've experienced centrepin fishing and nailed it down, its addictive :)

Allcock Match Aerial - I think are nice reels, but outside your price range. However, Fred Crouch did some replicas (may still do) which may be more within reach on the second hand market, but I think the original has curved edges which makes handling nicer. Look for one where the reel seat is not loose.

You can still buy the reels, but Fred won't be making them any more as he died in Jan 2014.

The prices have definitely caught up a bit since I bought one about 30 years ago.

• 1 month later...

Whilst most folk go for the ultimate in their often breathtaking price range yours truly has been going for cheap & cheerful, such as the 3.5" Intrepid centre pin, less than a tenner with p&p on E-Bay. Bought one recently, half an hour's TLC & it's back to near new condition. The ultimate gudgeon reel? Wallis Casting & trotting are out but it's fine for thumb control and near to rod tip fishing, spins well enough, for four or three seconds. Looks good on a rod, works within its limitations and catches fish, what more can a confirmed tiddler snatcher ask of a reel? Pretty near bomb proof, doesn't mind getting wet, darn good deal/reel for a tenner!