Centre pin reels

Hackney2819

those ron Thompson reels was originally sold by dragoncarp many years ago (before the contessi) and the first lot was cheap orible monkey metal and felt unbalanced and not nice too the touch ,dragoncarp still sell them (I had a fondle recently) but they have improved the metal and the spools are more balanced and currently called the black zero (they've had many names) and current price is £15 and I think the 4" version (they come in 4" - 5" ,depending on brand) .they do make a nice entry level reel .I still don't like the feel of them though but at this price I might buy one or two as a loaner reels or for raffle prizes (I fish a few charity matches each year & these will make a nice prize) .

that said dragoncarp do a bearings aerial ,the matt hayes special @£59.99 avert nice price for a aerial reel ,I have a earlier black one which I love ,these are a soft bronze colour

dragoncarp also do the Ikonix Centrepin & Cortesi Black both at £39.99 and both very capable reels

I think with modern manufacturing methods etc ,it'd be hard to produce a really bad reel ,so most are great starter reels and doesn't matter what names on it .best bit is if fishing with centrepins is for you theres always more pins too try ...

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

• 2 weeks later...

A company was offering the Ron Thompson centre-pin on E-Bay over Xmas at just shy of twenty quid including P&P, I just had to have one! It arrived this morning, not disappointed in the least but I did feel it was not running as well as it might. I gave it a minimal touch of very light oil and what a difference! Now it can certainly perform as well as both my Okuma Adventa and AnglersNet reels. Clearly a well engineered bit of kit, painted rather than anodized finish but, hey, I'm no tackle snob! No question that it now takes next to no weight to set it spinning, and keep spinning, certainly on a par with my other reels. Well shaped knobs, good rim for thumbing, just don't know how well it'll wear but then, in my experience, Ron Thompson don't market poor tackle. Well pleased but only time will tell. First impressions are good. I've now fished with two of them, both performed well so I can only assume that quality control is good. I like the handling and feel of the reel. Perhaps too cheap, thus it can't possibly be a good reel, but it really is.

Not recommending this to the OP but the Allcock Match Aerial has been quietly holding its value over the past three years. Boxed perfect examples are still only fetching a couple of hundred quid with cosmetically challenged reels (doesn’t matter with these) well below that. They don’t enjoy the following of more exotic makers products but they are beautiful reels and very nice to use.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back