Pike drop off indicators

markp

Also, am I the only one who thinks that drop-offs aren't particularly good as indicators? Thinking laterally, I reckon they'd be most useful when using bolt rigs for carp or tench, when you're expecting a proper run. I reckon I could count on one hand the number of times I've had a full blooded run from a pike, which has pulled the line from the clip and run off like they're 'supposed' to. Nearly always I see a twitch or tremble or tightening of the line, maybe a beep or two on the alarm, and pick up the rod to feel for the fish.

It's a question of setting them up properly, and this can be tricky to do if the indicator doesn't have a sliding weight.

I also ensure that the rod points more of less directly at the bait otherwise any movement can be absorbed by the rod top. This can make a huge difference to sensitivity.

Not being able to point the rod at the bait is one of the reasons I avoid pods wherever possible. Those of you who've been to Wingham will know that the platforms have slats to accomodate banksticks so making pods unnecessary.

However, I agree with you that you don't always get screaming runs. I've found this particularly marked at Wingham where the pike are almost totally unpressured. Here it's rare to have the line pulled out of the clip.

Sometimes I get just a single bleep on the indicator (that is normally set on maximum sensitivity), and then I immediately play very close attention. Any futher indication means that I'll pick the rod up, feel for a pike, and if necessary strike immediately.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I use rear alarms and haven't had any problems. Once the line has been pulled out of the clip the alarm goes off, whether the pike moves two inches or twenty yards doesn't matter. That's when I start looking at (or feeling) the line and any further movement, which I might induce by pulling, gets hit. I prefer that to the constant false alarms of the "optonic" derivatives.

One advantage of the rear indicators if you are out in the middle of nowhere on a long session is that they don't use any battery power until they actually go off. The front alarms drain a small amount of current all the time they are switched on (usually in my tackle box so I take them out and find them dead!)

I prefer rear mounted alarms as opposed to front ones when piking as I use liver baits regularly

I must remember to try out that bait this winter................ ;):P

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

For me its front alarms (no real preference on make and if you saw how many different makes of alarm I have you would know why) with the Fox adjustable drop offs with the sliding weight.

The Fox drop offs are to my mind anyway the best you can use

Some good points brought up here. Glad to see the one about floats MUST be watched regardless of wether you are using alarms/indicators or not. I often use multi rod tactics for predators so tend not to use floats a great deal.From the boat they are the only practical option though.

I agree with Steves points re ledgering/paternostering from a boat but one way of paternostering from a boat which allthough not perfect is (IMO) acceptable is to use the "Double float" rig. This is basicly a sunken float paternoster rig but with a sliding float put on above the fixed sunk float.The sunk float ensures the rig fishes properly no matter what the depth/where you cast and the sliding float gives the indication.The small amount of slack(top float has to be fished over depth) does stop it being perfect (but in practice Ive had no problems) but is needed for the rig to work and not be affected too badly by the movement of the boat.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

folks,

>>I also ensure that the rod points more of less directly at the bait otherwise any movement can be absorbed by the rod top. This can make a huge difference to sensitivity.<<

steve is so right...this also applies to any form of legering

for what it's worth.....i prefer front bite alarms with my own home made rear drop offs and definitely NOT my FOX rear electronic alarms as their heads are way too heavy.

tight lines all <')Andy<

Thanks for clarifying that Steve - upon re-reading my post I can see that 'That's not to say I rely on them for indication' wasn't particularly clear.

Also, am I the only one who thinks that drop-offs aren't particularly good as indicators? Thinking laterally, I reckon they'd be most useful when using bolt rigs for carp or tench, when you're expecting a proper run. I reckon I could count on one hand the number of times I've had a full blooded run from a pike, which has pulled the line from the clip and run off like they're 'supposed' to. Nearly always I see a twitch or tremble or tightening of the line, maybe a beep or two on the alarm, and pick up the rod to feel for the fish.

Similarly with floats, I very rarely get a pike float taken under the water (except if fishing a livebait off the bottom). It's normally just a bob or sideways movement.

I may be preaching to the converted, but don't wait for a 'proper' run from pike - if your indicator or line or rod tip does anything it shouldn't, a pike has your bait in its mouth.

Off topic, but I really hope we get some decent pike weather this winter. All my plans last year were scuppered by, you guessed it, floods :headhurt:

Totally agree

I find if you watch the float for a while you get used to it's 'normal' movements (especially on rivers) so any deviation from this no matter how slight is usually an indication of a pike.

I too have found that a lot of pike pick up the baits and move off quite slowly so the float may not go straight under but just change position on the surface.

folks,

>>I also ensure that the rod points more of less directly at the bait otherwise any movement can be absorbed by the rod top. This can make a huge difference to sensitivity.<<

steve is so right...this also applies to any form of legering

Amen to that! And I include carp fishing! So many carp takes are missed as they don't all give screaming runs and hook themselves.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I use both optonics up front and ET backbiters at the back, I do this as different situations demand different things Ive had takes where a drop off wouldnt have registered any thing but the twtchy beeps from the optonics have given me some indication, this is something thats only happened in really cold conditions. Now I wouldnt be happy only using front alarms as in deepest winter I ve known friens alarms to freeze so he got no audible indication.