Zander

norfolkfisher

Zander  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Are they good or bad for our waterways?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes but they need to be controlled

Can be good can be bad!

Provide lots of fry for other predators to eat, but those fry can eat an awful lot of food that roach, bream, tench etc, etc, could eat.

They also provide cormorants with another food source which again can be good or can be bad.

However I enjoy catching them.

9lb%20Grafham%20Zander%20copy%20s.jpg

Colin

It's a bit common now that photo isn't it Colin? ;)

Why not look for information on coarse fish stocks and balances of European waters, where zander are already common? If they don't create problem over there, what problems could they cause, once a balance has been found, which would only come by leaving them alone?

Cheers for that i'll have to look into that on top of the survey. And i dunno but it might be worth passing on my findings to the environment agency,waterways etc. good or bad. I think it would definately be worth comparing what affect zander are having in mainland europe where the species are the mostly the same as to here. Could be interesting.

BTW thats a nice looking zed!

Your question at the beginning of the poll needs rewording because the answers you offer will not allow you to interpret the responses.

You can't answer the question 'are they good or bad?' with the answers yes or no.

Yes they are probaby good or bad.

Your question at the beginning of the poll needs rewording because the answers you offer will not allow you to interpret the responses.

You can't answer the question 'are they good or bad?' with the answers yes or no.

I agree, so I can't answer the question.

But if the question was, do I believe in the introduction of any 'alien' species? Then the answer would be a resounding NO. (But it wasn't, so I'll shut up). :D

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I love Zander and no not one single water where their pressence has really afected the prey fish.I will say however that where Zeds do get really established (not all just certain areas) the pike fishing goes down hill a bit.

Just a "natural" balance being achieved over time you may say but its not really natural as its a different balance to when there were no Zander!

I dont believe in stocking any non indigenous species but the Zeds are here now in some places so things should be left as they are.Simply no need to cull or try and remove/control them (as it is more often than not futile and a waste of money) but lets not spread them or any other aliens anymore.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I dont believe in stocking any non indigenous species but the Zeds are here now in some places so things should be left as they are.Simply no need to cull or try and remove/control them (as it is more often than not futile and a waste of money) but lets not spread them or any other aliens anymore.

Trouble is if you don't cull them they will get spread about, just look at carp.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

QUOTE (BUDGIE @ Oct 9 2008, 03:07 PM)

Trouble is if you don't cull them they will get spread about, just look at carp.

Spread how Lutra? Do you mean naturally or by illegal stocking?

If they could be controlled then there wouldnt really be a problem with any non idigenous fish as long as they were correctly stocked.Ive just never really seen a 100% or even "cost effective" way of controlling any species to that degree.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Spread how Lutra? Do you mean naturally or by illegal stocking?

Take your pick.

If they could be controlled then there wouldnt really be a problem with any non idigenous fish as long as they were correctly stocked.Ive just never really seen a 100% or even "cost effective" way of controlling any species to that degree.

Maybe more should have been done at a earlier stage, once a species gets a good foot hold its very hard to do anything.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep