Polish Posters

Leon Roskilly

Basically, it's very complicated. Hopefully a new bill in parliament will put a blanket ban on taking of fish. But don't hold your breath...............................

Just ban the taking of fish, don't know anyone who needs to take fish for the pot, or would want to. It would clarify the law to any foreigners and prevent such taking of fish approved by such poorly contrived bye laws.

I'd rather they had a ban on banning things!

Something else we agree on John! :clap2:

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather they had a ban on banning things!

Something else we agree on John! :clap2:

It's getting embarrassing cory, people will start talking, you know what they're like. :unsure::D

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

A lot of confusion is caused because fishing is governed by local byelaws, not national regulations. Quite often people state "laws" on here about what is and isn't allowed and it generally has a lot more to do with what they themselves want to do rather than any real regulations. To add more complication the fisheries or clubs themselves normally add extra regulations. These rules (not laws) are generally the only thing restricting you from smacking a carp on the head and taking it home for your tea, so the EA aren't really interested. Why should they be? It's not their job to enforce club rules.

Your local byelaws can be viewed here, some of them might surprise you

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/subje...n=1&lang=_e

A lot of confusion is caused because fishing is governed by local byelaws...

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/subje...n=1&lang=_e

After having a read of some I am not surprised. It looks like some of them have been made with the sole intent being obfuscation. Just looking at the opening and closing dates for the game season in my region was pretty mind blowing. I reckon we could do with having clear national legislation and tossing that lot of outdated cr@p in the shredder. Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Thanks for that link Colin, I've been trying to find it for a while now.

Looking at the Yorkshire by-laws, they are pretty much as I remember from when they used to be printed on the licence. That was way back when we had many different River Authorities, each with their own licence, just covering that area.

In some ways it was better, because by-laws could be made to suit the waters in that particular area. It seems that these have been kept, despite the National licence that we now have.

I tried to copy the by-laws concerning size limits and taking fish in my area, but found I couldn't do it in the format it was in.

The rules on there would really upset some of the members on here. ;)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Guest Rabbit

Here we go again. :rolleyes:

Would it mean no fish to be taken as bait? (used live or dead).

How would using keepnets be effected?

If coarse fish can't be taken, would the same apply to trout? If not, why not?

As it's been said before, nobody needs to go angling, does that mean ban it?

The taking of coarse fish for the pot is a throw back of when people really did need to do this to supplement their diet Agreed? Assuming that you and your soul mate Cory can perhaps agree with, something that makes sense, we would therefore be right to assume that taking these mature fish to eat should be stopped. As far as using dead or live baits well perhaps that should be reviewed, with all the very good lures available now why do it? Would further clean up the image of angling, Agreed?

OK let me get my tin hat on! If there was a blanket ban on the taking of fish over a certain size, that would satisfy MOST anglers.

How about a "special" licence for predator fish anglers, that would allow them to remove X amount of fish from the water they are fishing!

Bringing live or dead fish from another water MUST be a No-No!

Edited by kleinboet

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Would it mean no fish to be taken as bait? (used live or dead).

How would using keepnets be effected?

If coarse fish can't be taken, would the same apply to trout? If not, why not?

As it's been said before, nobody needs to go angling, does that mean ban it?

The taking of coarse fish for the pot is a throw back of when people really did need to do this to supplement their diet Agreed? Assuming that you and your soul mate Cory can perhaps agree with, something that makes sense, we would therefore be right to assume that taking these mature fish to eat should be stopped. As far as using dead or live baits well perhaps that should be reviewed, with all the very good lures available now why do it? Would further clean up the image of angling, Agreed?

No it wouldn't clean up the image of angling. What would clean up the image of angling is for anglers to stop angling and catching the poor little fish.

Many antis see catch and release as worse than catch and kill for the table. In their eyes catch and kill for the table at least has some point to it, other than just tormenting and injuring the fish for pleasure.

What is the mortality rate from using keep nets / match fishing / poor fish handling / fishing in general. How does it compare with the number of fish taken for the pot?

If you are going to start reviewing and banning anything that you don't agree with the banning angling altogether wouldn't be far behind.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

OK let me get my tin hat on! If there was a blanket ban on the taking of fish over a certain size, that would satisfy MOST anglers.

That's probably true. But would it satisfy most non-anglers? If angling gets politicised the same way fox-hunting did (and, although the two are very different, it could happen) it won't matter whether anglers are satisfied or not.

Looking at the wider picture - if we decide to make it illegal to kill and eat the fish we catch we'd better be prepared to have very good explanations as to why fishing itself is nothing more than pointless cruelty. And just saying 'it's relaxing, the fish are fine, plus we're the guardians of the waterways' won't cut it if there's political capital to be made.

A very dangerous route in my opinion.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

No definitely not "Agreed".

You are speaking of your own personal feelings Rabbit, which is fair enough.

But what you propose will effect those that choose to fish in a way that you don't agree with. So that's OK then is it?

You try and justify how catching a fish, handling it, perhaps taking a photo, or keeping it in a keepnet for a few hours , and putting it back, just for 'fun', compares to landing it, hitting it over the head straight away, and taking it home to eat.

Your thinking is heading down a very rocky road, and will eventually lead to a ban on angling it's self.

John.