Polish Posters

Leon Roskilly

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tigger

At the end of the day if a small percent of anglers took home a couple of fish every trip then there would be bugger all left to catch.

Pike/ predaror anglers don't take adult fish for bait and a lot of their bait comes from the shops which of most are farm produced baits.

Gozzer you profess to prefer wild waters and frown upon carp ponds. All your natural ponds and wild fish would soon run out if everyone started to have fish suppers every night.

At the end of the day if a small percent of anglers took home a couple of fish every trip then there would be bugger all left to catch.

Pike/ predaror anglers don't take adult fish for bait and a lot of their bait comes from the shops which of most are farm produced baits.

Gozzer you profess to prefer wild waters and frown upon carp ponds. All your natural ponds and wild fish would soon run out if everyone started to have fish suppers every night.

We seemed to manage before, we didn't run out of fish.

I've heard this so many times before, "if everybody took fish home there would be none left".

If everyone decided to drive on the same road, on the same day, it would be total grid lock. But they wouldn't, the same as many anglers won't take fish, and those that do, take a few a year, not fill bags every time they go!

And I'm not aware that live baits are sold in shops (correct me if I'm wrong, please). Isn't there a rule that says live baits must be caught, and used in the same water?

Define adult fish. In some waters fish of 6-8ins are adult, but this size is still used as live bait.

John.

PS. I am not against "carp ponds", just the overstocking to provide easy fishing at the expense of fish welfare. Oh, and the status that carp seem to have over that of other coarse fish.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

How about a "special" licence for predator fish anglers, that would allow them to remove X amount of fish from the water they are fishing!

Bringing live or dead fish from another water MUST be a No-No!

Still not seen any hard evidence to confirm any of the potential problems assoiated with anglers transfering fish for bait but I would be prepared to "give a little" and not move fish of any sort dead or alive from water to water........but what about sea fish? The actual FACTS Ive seen show that there is a higher risk of disease being spread by dead sea fish than dead freshwater fish! (Allthough both are very small.....in fact only just that bit bigger than with freshwater fish!!!)

No it wouldn't clean up the image of angling. What would clean up the image of angling is for anglers to stop angling and catching the poor little fish.

Many antis see catch and release as worse than catch and kill for the table. In their eyes catch and kill for the table at least has some point to it, other than just tormenting and injuring the fish for pleasure.

What is the mortality rate from using keep nets / match fishing / poor fish handling / fishing in general. How does it compare with the number of fish taken for the pot?

If you are going to start reviewing and banning anything that you don't agree with the banning angling altogether wouldn't be far behind.

Totally agree.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

As far as using dead or live baits well perhaps that should be reviewed, with all the very good lures available now why do it? Would further clean up the image of angling, Agreed?

Most definately not agreed.

Very easy to allow something that doesnt directly affect your own interest to be banned isnt it?

When are non pike anglers going to realise that livebaiting is a valid method and in some situations the only method that will catch?

Ive offered before but will YET again, those who think that livebaiting isnt "necessary" (as far as any angling is of course) please arrange a day to come out with me and see.

Am I being greedy wanting to catch the most I can/have a fair days sport? should I be happy/prepared to catch just the one or two (some times indeed nothing) when I can use an alternative bait/method and suceed? If so then fine but how would the roach fisher feel if worms/maggots/caster were all banned and all they could use was pinnaple chunks? (they have caught roach but I wager no where near as many!!) or the carp angler confined to wild strawberries? No its a load of selfish crap! I will make sacrifices that limit my sport by all means but only if all others do the same.......

I reckon I will be pretty safe,

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

As you will know, livebaiting is now banned in Scotland. Thin end of the wedge IMO

Many Scottish Lochs have very shallow margins which makes lure fishing difficult without a boat and dead bait isn't always the best method.

Personally I think that using pellets and boilies for Barbel fishing should be banned. Don't know why and don't know anything about it but from what I have read it makes it too easy, so it must be a BAD THING :rolleyes:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Spot on Bugie.

It's the "I don't do it so I don't care, ban it", attitude that's more of a danger to angling, than some of the other things that get moaned about on here.

John.

PS. Happy Birthday Budgie, Hope it's a good one. :thumbs:

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

A very interesting debate, I find myself agreeing with some issues but not all, and not always from the same poster, but I am afraid it has strayed away from the original thread of people taking fish for the pot without permission.

What I would like to happen is when I go to a water for a days fishing, when they come round to sell me a day ticket I would liked to be asked to show my rod license, do you know, I've never been asked for my license on a day ticket water in something like 30 odd years it must be.

I know that wouldn't stop people taking fish, but there must be a good percentage of those people that do take fish don't have a license, so therefore if they were to insist on seeing a license it must help a bit

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive

What Century are we talking about ? :rolleyes:

Which one do you want to talk about? :blink:

John.

Edited by gozzer